Santiam nookies!

S
steelhead1
Gotta love those boat guys that trip over their own a*ses, trying to hit every hole ahead of you, drifting down the river.They are so busy,they paddle right on by the fish!This was the case sunday on the santiam,when we came across a huge mass of bright spring nook,jumping, rolling and acting a-fool.We had planned to target summer steel, so our gear was kinda undersized,but what,me worry?lets do it! first cast,jig, fish on! zzz zzz zzzzzzzzip.......gone.DOH! Second fish,spinner,huge run,spooled and back again,again the heartbreaking moment when the line suddenly goes slack.:confused:Third fish,eggs,same huge run,me stumbling and bumbling to keep up,get the bright beauty to my feet,out comes the hook,gone:(.This goes on all afternoon,believe it or not,eight fish hooked,eight fish with a knack for hook tossing.:shock:we give up and paddle down, tired and defeated,but happy to have had a good time. I had to go back today,this time with the proper size hooks and spinners.Third cast on the rainbow Blue Fox,WHAMMO!Santiam spring nookie,this time shes going home with me!:D

F
FishAssassin
Man!!! That first day you had was a nightmare!!!

C
Cohosanders
:clap::clap: Great attitude man:) 0 for 8 WOW that is crazy:think: Diligence and perseverance paid off though. I need to make it down there:cool: great story and nice looking fish:cool:

T
Thuggin4Life
I bet it was a blast. Nice fish!

J
joni
mainstem santiam?

A
autofisher
Gotta love those boat guys with undersized gear! :lol: Nice fish man.

S
steelhead1
s fork

J
Johnny Southpaw
Nice fish and way to return for vengeance and have it pay OFF!

M
markasd
Nice!! Good times even tho none landed...

T
troutmasta
Great story. Great patience. Apparently its a virtue or something.

H
HAWGHUNTER
where abouts on the santiam i dont really know about that river but it sounds like its worth a trip

S
steelhead1
waterloo would be the place to start:)

M
Mike123
Just make sure your there at 1am.

J
JeannaJigs
I'm going to start sleeping in my boat out there..

M
Mike123
JeannaJigs said:
I'm going to start sleeping in my boat out there..

Your not the first person to do so. There are guys sleeping in the boat already and the fishing sucks still. :rolleyes:

N
nwkiller
nice work man!!

T
troutmasta
Mike123 said:
Just make sure your there at 1am.

Holy Smokes. Does the ramp get that packed or what? Why do you need to get there so early?

M
Mike123
troutmasta said:
Holy Smokes. Does the ramp get that packed or what? Why do you need to get there so early?

You have to get their early cause every year people start getting their earlier to beat each other to the "magical bush" that people think you need to park in front of to catch fish. Which is dumb as heck. If you want a good bobber fishing spot you have to be at least the 5th or 6th boat.. after that your getting closer to the bridge, which sometimes is actually a good thing. Just when the water is real low it seems you want to be near the bush so you can fish the rock ledge. It's kinda like one gigantic hog line of boats. lol

S
steelhead1
We saw one boat anchored and maybe five bankies on sunday morn below waterloo falls, is that crowded?Seems most drift boats were coming down from sweet home to waterloo. There are some sections of this river that rarely see boat traffic, and a clever person could do some homework to find em.Othewise,ya, fish the same hole as all the the other guys,the fish will be there, eventually.:p

T
troutmasta
steelhead1 said:
We saw one boat anchored and maybe five bankies on sunday morn below waterloo falls, is that crowded?Seems most drift boats were coming down from sweet home to waterloo. There are some sections of this river that rarely see boat traffic, and a clever person could do some homework to find em.Othewise,ya, fish the same hole as all the the other guys,the fish will be there, eventually.:p

Crazy. I dont have a drift boat but it sounds like cedar creek during Coho season