Sandy springers

my2labs
my2labs
I’ve heard and read mixed information on this topic.....

can anyone clarify please...

Are there still hatchery Springers returning to the Sandy river?

Thanks.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Yes there are. 2020 management plan calls for 200,000 smolts, hatchery springers have been in the system for prior to marmot dam being removed.

Reactions: my2labs
C
cchinook
Hooked Up said:
Yes there are. 2020 management plan calls for 200,000 smolts, hatchery springers have been in the system for prior to marmot dam being removed.
Last year I landed 10 at Oxbow , none were clipped .

Artwo
Artwo
Hooked Up said:

......and with a 1% return rate, if we're lucky, that speaks volumes. Really wish we could get back to release levels like we use to have.

Reactions: Irishrover, Hooked Up and TheKnigit
P
PandaMan
Hey guys, hijacking this thread. I was at Oxbow today, any one having any luck out there recently?

C
cchinook
PandaMan said:
Hey guys, hijacking this thread. I was at Oxbow today, any one having any luck out there recently?
Saw one 18 pounder landed , clipped , it has been real bad .

P
PandaMan
cchinook said:
Saw one 18 pounder landed , clipped , it has been real bad .
That's sorta what I was thinking. Everyone I spoke to today says they haven't gotten anything so far this season. Maybe they're running late this year :cautious:

Casting Call
Casting Call
I have been long rod ctr pinning with streamers at the mouth of Siletz Bay. The float has been 50 to 100yds long from MO's. In four high tides, only one pull-down and got broke off at the 50-yard mark. The hook set was for only 15 seconds. It was of good size for a fresh springer. The fish are waiting for a good rain. I'll be on it every daylight H-tide. Waiting for Nehalem and Yureka to send word. Tony

Reactions: PandaMan
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Artwo said:
......and with a 1% return rate, if we're lucky, that speaks volumes. Really wish we could get back to release levels like we use to have.
You used to be able to pull some fish out of there.

H
homerhomer
Ugh, the Sandy keeps getting worse. I don't expect to catch every trip, but after 8 trips and nothing. I'm not even seeing fishermen with fish. I sure I could get one at Cedar but I don't want go do the combat floss and snag thing.

It might take a couple of years but it looks like their going to release more fish this year.
"The number of Sandy River hatchery spring chinook smolts released in 2020 was increased to 200,000 fish (from 132,000). Increased opportunities for angler harvest is desired to assure the pHOS standard continues to be met."

H
homerhomer
Sorry for the rant but I find this interesting

Hatchery Chinook released on the Sandy.
Before - 1999 430,000
2000 - 2013 300,000
??? - 2019 130,000
2020 200,000

I understand that smolt releases are not the whole picture.

Maybe I'm reading this wrong but basically they removed the Marmot dam and and it caused a stray hatchery issue and they reduced the smolt releases.