Sandy smells... stay away.

D
DrTheopolis
While a sewage spill is never good, consider:

At 4000CFS (ball park for the currest flow at Bull Run), that's about 30,000 gallons per second. The total spill was estimated at 168,000 gallons... 6 seconds' worth, give or take.

As far as environmental disasters go, not really a blip on the radar. That said, I'm not planning on drinking it.

J
JeannaJigs
Mmmmm sewage. Yay hepatitis.

D
DrTheopolis
I've spent more of my life than I care to think about working in wastewater plants, and the risk of hep is pretty darn low. Goes to zero if you get shots for it, but I was too lazy for that.

And I'd still recommend against bathing in raw influent. Raw wastewater is over 99%... water, and comes in pretty much clear. And I'd still recommend against bathing in it. What's nasty is when the septic pumping services show up and empty the truck -- which momentarily turns the intake headworks rather stinky. Definitely don't want to bath in that.

D
DrTheopolis
BTW - you're much more likely to get Hep A from eating sushi than coming in contact with wastewater... "food" for thought, eh?

D
DYJ
add one more to my list of reasons not to eat Sushi!

D
DrTheopolis
And there's the thing about the group that has pretty much monopolized sushi disribution in the USA has the stated cause of overthrowing the US governemt (albiet through peaceful means, and maybe a peaceful overthrow isn't such a bad idea to do away with the heinous two party system).

Leading cause of foodbourne illness in the country + subversive acitvists = if you eat sushi at sushi joints, you're pretty much a bad person.