Sandy River

N
nowimdone
So after years of successful winter steelhead fishing on the sandy I decided this year im going to try my luck with coho. I cured up some eggs and drift fished, through some blue fox spinners all in some of my favorite holes. I can't even catch a cold. I like to fish the stretch below the Girl Scout Camp by Dodge Park down river to the big waterfall. to be honest its really the only water on the Sandy I know because its incredible steelhead water and hardly ever see anyone around. Is there somewhere else I should be fishing? I know coho dont hold in the faster ripples like steelies so ive been hitting the slower pools.

Anyone have some advice for an eager coho novice?

kirkster
kirkster
Dont pass the fast water, Iknow excactly what your thinking. I thought that same way but I have pulled a lot of coho from the same area your fishing in some pretty fast water.

M
metalmania
Fish everything, there in there somewhere. I've pulled some from slack water but most are in the medium to fast water, but you should still fish the slower stuff so you don't pass anything up. Red and brass has been the best combo for spinners, but don't forget about black blades, they work very well:D.

U
Upgrayedd
Hello Everybody - been lurking for a few months

I have a question - Similar experience at the thread creator - I have been out on the upper Sandy around Dodge Park frequently this year but haven't seen much luck. Is it more about where you are presenting or what you are presenting?

M
metalmania
Upgrayedd said:
Hello Everybody - been lurking for a few months

I have a question - Similar experience at the thread creator - I have been out on the upper Sandy around Dodge Park frequently this year but haven't seen much luck. Is it more about where you are presenting or what you are presenting?

Both are very important, and the what and where can vary from day to day, depending on water level, temp, clarity etc. Drift fishing eggs or throwing size 4 brass/red spinners should produce fish once they come up thicker.

N
nowimdone
I guess Ill have to venture to a few of my steelie holes and see whats happening. Ive been using silver blue fox spinners and the chartreuse sliver blades. That chartreuse just has to kill a salmon next time. I can feel it in my soul.

M
metalmania
nowimdone said:
I guess Ill have to venture to a few of my steelie holes and see whats happening. Ive been using silver blue fox spinners and the chartreuse sliver blades. That chartreuse just has to kill a salmon next time. I can feel it in my soul.

Chart. usually doesn't work to well for coho, but for some reason people are saying it's working this year. Red tends to work better in the cooler water, with green being better in warmer, atleast that's my expirience with them.

N
nowimdone
I have the red/silver flake as well. Something is bound to work.

hopefully

B
bigdog
Just keep at it. What and where is very important, another thing is put your time in on the water and I'm talking a lot more then a couple hours a trip. The sandy has been good this year and is going to get better in a week or two. If the rain keeps going then this week and next weekend should be very good on the sandy. There is still a lot of fish holding at the mouth of the sandy waiting for more rain to make the trip up. I have been having good luck with cured eggs.
Heard a lot of people saying that salmon don't hold in the faster running water but I have seen many took out of the fast running water. Just last week when we were coming out of one of our favorite holes walking in the fast water I had one jump and run and the thing scared the living day lights out of me. This isn't the first time this has happened to me so for sure fish it all.
Good luck and never give up.
CJ

Last edited:
M
metalmania
bigdog said:
Just keep at it. What and where is very important, another thing is put your time in on the water and I'm talking a lot more then a couple hours a trip. The sandy has been good this year and is going to get better in a week or two. If the rain keeps going then this week and next weekend should be very good on the sandy. There is still a lot of fish holding at the mouth of the sandy waiting for more rain to make the trip up. I have been having good luck with cured eggs.
Heard a lot of people saying that salmon don't hold in the faster running water but I have seen many took out of the fast running water. Just last week when we were coming out of one of our favorite holes walking in the fast water I had one jump and run and the thing scared the living day lights out of me. This isn't the first time this has happened to me so for sure fish it all.
Good luck and never give up.
CJ

The majority of the fish you see sitting in the riffles are most likely tules, there spawning in that fast shallow water.

kirkster
kirkster
metalmania said:
The majority of the fish you see sitting in the riffles are most likely tules, there spawning in that fast shallow water.

The fish Ive been pulling out of the fast water are no tules.

M
metalmania
kirkster said:
The fish Ive been pulling out of the fast water are no tules.

Right, your catching the ho's in there, but the tules are spawning now and can be seen in great numbers in some of the faster riffle water. I'm not saying there's not ho's in there. I try not to even walk through those areas so I don't step all over the redds. If your fishing above oxbow there's probably a lot less tules and more ho's in that riffle water.

C
cchinook
sandy river

sandy river

I was told by a friend of a friend that knows a gillnetter that they have been sweeping the mouth of the Sandy to the tune of 15,000- 20,000 fish every night , going way past the allotment . That is why all we are hooking are big dark nooks . Maybe we should all call O.D.F.W and find out what the hell is going on .

F
FishKiller23
cchinook said:
I was told by a friend of a friend that knows a gillnetter that they have been sweeping the mouth of the Sandy to the tune of 15,000- 20,000 fish every night , going way past the allotment . That is why all we are hooking are big dark nooks . Maybe we should all call O.D.F.W and find out what the hell is going on .

I heard that as well.

M
metalmania
cchinook said:

If that's true i'm gonna lose my %$#(*^& mind:mad:.

F
FishSchooler
And that's why Cedar Creek has only gotten 688 adults with only a few hundred fish in the creek out of the 15000 expected so far. :mad:

T
todd_brooks
RE: Gill netters

RE: Gill netters

So it makes me think everyone that has a boat should do some camping out on the water and be in the way of that kind of B.S . Just the first thought that popped into my head. What could they do if several dozen plus boats were out there in the way? :think:

M
masmith
todd_brooks said:
So it makes me think everyone that has a boat should do some camping out on the water and be in the way of that kind of B.S . Just the first thought that popped into my head. What could they do if several dozen plus boats were out there in the way? :think:

lol, a non-violent protest

J
Jacks Tackle
Guys there are lot more fish in the river than one may believe. if there is a gill netter at the mouth of the sandy they would be illegal. There is a sanctuary around the mouth of the Sandy.

15000 fish is what is expected back to the river, not the Hatchery. The ODFW knows that no where near that is gonnago up that creek.

First you have to take 15,000. Subtract the number that is in the trap. The n subtract the number of fish that have been caught since late august. roughly 60 days by how many fisherman??

Then subtract the number of fish above the creek, infront of the creek, around the island, in the Salmon hole, in the fast water below the salmon hole, the house hole, the next 20 holes between that and dodge. Then down on through the pipeline, girlscout and the next 7 miles to the Oxbow ramp and on through the park anmd so on. If you think you can see them all than you are kidding yourself. Fish are great at hiding when they want to. If there are no biters in the hole move on to another hole.

If a Gillnet boat is taking even 10,000 fish then after two nights they would be beyond the Sandy run and working on other rivers and the Sandy would have 0000.

Yes the Gill netters are getting fish in the Columbia, I dont like it any more than any one else but this ilogical ranting and raving makes us all look like kindergardners.

There are fish to be had, you just have to learn a few things to get them.

Just my thoughts on all of this.

Last edited:
Y
youngbuck307
FishSchooler said:
And that's why Cedar Creek has only gotten 688 adults with only a few hundred fish in the creek out of the 15000 expected so far. :mad:

the other day up there me and fishkiller walked the CC part way up and there is more then a few hundred in there thats for sure