Sandy River: Summer Steelies

J
JTLunker
Took my friend Ryan out to do some Steelhead fishing on the weekend of the 12th. We hit Cedar Creek hatchery. The first time I had been there and only the fourth or fifth trip ever for me. Ryan is a pretty seasoned Steelie fisherman. He has been at it for well over ten years. His home river is the Rouge and surrounding Southern Oregon rivers. We hiked the 3/4 mile down to the water from the hatchery Pkg lot and picked the first open spot we came across. Ryan had to put is rod together but I was already set to fish. I had a Blue Fox number 3 orange tied on with no swivel. I was using my new Berkely Air 9 ft rod with a decent Okuma spinning reel. I had 10lb mono on. I cast once and the drift felt pretty good. Then once more and then a third time and BAM!!!!! I had one on. We had been there five minutes and I had one on already. I couldn't believe it and neither could Ryan as he thought I just snagged. After ten to fifteen minutes of reelin in and then loosin line I tired her out. A bright cromer hen 27 inches and 7.8 lbs. I was stoked and so was Ryan.
JTSandySteelie.jpg
<a
The rest of the day was slow with a few bites and misses. Ryan wanted to go back the next day so we decided to roll up early on Sat mourning. We arrived to the river at around 530 or 6. We fished hard and eventually Ryan had on his first Sandy River Steelie. Another Chromer hen weighing in at 7.2 lbs.

Sandysummer.jpg

Later Ryan had a hog of a Steelie on. It was a least a ten pounder! That dang thing spit the hook right as we got our first look at him. The one that got away! Overall it was a great weekend and a ton of fun fishing with one of my good friends.
The water was high and very cold, but the fishing was good.

Last edited:
A
ArcticAmoeba
Beautiful fish! So spinners on the Sandy huh? I have tried when the water was high before, and it seemed too turbid for a spinner, but I have have always had decent luck right where you guys were set up with side drifters and good cured eggs, or prawn tails. I have a purple Blue Fox in a size 4, you think that might produce or are the brights where its at?:think:

J
JTLunker
Ryan Caught his using corkie and yarn. If anything my fish was probally luck. I must have put that lure right in the fishes face. The colors others were having luck with were oranges and pinks.

A
ArcticAmoeba
On the Sandy this year i have had no steelies. One native springer though. Big too like 22ish pounds. The Clackamas is where i have been most of the year, and i have been lovin it. Side driftin shrimp or eggs from the bank, and using a slip bobber where it is real snaggy. One steelie, and three nookies, 2 of which had been either half eaten by sea lions, or at least multiple attacks. One bright steelie, and a fat hatchery hen; for probably a total of 20 hours of fishing in the last few weeks. I will post pictures of the next fish i catch, since i got my digital camera to at least take pictures again. Go geek squad. If you have a chance to get up to the Lewis or Cowlitz, do it...One day on each back in May and our boat landed 8 bigguns.

J
JTLunker
I had a Chinook on for around 20 mins on my Steelhead setup 10 lb main 8 lb leader. I had him under control for awhile, but I let him slip down stream and he eventually shook the hook. What a fish though. Looked pretty big and fought hard, and much different from the fight of a Steelhead. I was sad to loose the fish, but loved the battle and I learned a lot from it. I may switch to 12 lb and 10lb leader for the next go round.

A
ArcticAmoeba
That is probably a good idea, especially if the fish does have a run at a chute or some real rough water. Nookers do fight in a totally different fashion than the steelies, at least you can normally tell the difference before you see the fish. I got out today on the Clackamas and had superb luck...I'll post a new thread so you guys can check out my crappy cell phone pictures...I hate technology.