Sandy River sturgeon... seriously?

F
FishOn420
I was talking with some people yesterday who floated the sandy river recently and they said that the saw a bunch of sturgeon over there. I couldn't even believe it. I have never heard of sturgeon in the sandy river and especially with the water temp so high and the river being so low. Has anyone ever heard of sturgeon making it all the way up the sandy river or seeing them in there? Just seems very unlikely to me but I would like some second opinions.

B
Big3d
They are in there, I don't know how high up, but on this very forum are stories of sturgeon on the sandy.

J
JonT
Saw one above Dabney in March, about a 6 footer.

bass
bass
I believe that there are quite a few sturgeon in the Sandy which is why they closed it to even C&R sturgeon fishing to make it a sanctuary for them.

my2labs
my2labs
I've seen sturgeon heads at dabney before. Guessing a bear had them for dinner. They are in there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S
SailCat
There's a gentleman named Paul (though often called'Junior) who works at Fisherman's Marine in Oregon City who also guides on the Sandy River. If you're in the store, ask him about sturgeon on the Sandy River. He's got some interesting stories. <G>

D
DrTheopolis
I remember seeing a dead one at the mouth of the Salmon, probably 20 years ago. Right now, the water is probably cooler than the Big River.

F
FishOn420
bass said:
I believe that there are quite a few sturgeon in the Sandy which is why they closed it to even C&R sturgeon fishing to make it a sanctuary for them.

That's good to know. I have only fished the sandy river once for steelhead and salmon up at Oxbow park but I will be sure to not sturgeon fish there. Most of the time I either fish the Willamette or the Big C for sturgeon but its pretty cool to know they hang out in such shallow warm water. I definitely need to try out some new spots for sturgeon. I would love to try out the big C closer to where it flows into the ocean.

F
ForagingAdventures
FishOn420 said:
That's good to know. I have only fished the sandy river once for steelhead and salmon up at Oxbow park but I will be sure to not sturgeon fish there. Most of the time I either fish the Willamette or the Big C for sturgeon but its pretty cool to know they hang out in such shallow warm water. I definitely need to try out some new spots for sturgeon. I would love to try out the big C closer to where it flows into the ocean.

I witnessed a man pull a large sturgeon out of the pool at the Oxbow launch earlier this year.