Sandy River help?

A
alseaalumaweld
takeing my drift boat over some time this winter. i no nothing about the river hopeing i could get some insite tips any help would be great.

Last edited:
R
RunWithSasquatch
Ive fished it once from the bank... buddy caught a nice hen on his first cast.

But will say I wont be goin back. Should get some good info... seems like 70% of the forum is from around that area.

A
alseaalumaweld
copy that. never thougth about fishing it before. but new gf in portland if im up there mite as well bring boat im thinking :)

E
eggs
9.5-11 is a good river level to float.. Oxbow-Dabney(3 hours without stopping) is a nice float maybe 1 or 2 simi technical class 2's at most. The sandy is ever changing though. Dabney-Lewis&Clark(2 hours without stopping) is a really easy drift. Oxbow-LC is a good allll day trip and tons of water.. if you have a big toon or raft and good on the sticks you can float mouth of the salmon down to marmot to dodge park and to oxbow, but the upper stretch I just listed is not driftboat water.

W
waco
The sandy river is one of the best on the area it has a great run for winter steelhead!! But sorry can't help you dont know anything how to fish it from a boat!!! In fact there are some winters already back in the hatchery!!

A
alseaalumaweld
i hear there fish at the hatchery. ya im drifting in my drift boat. got trolling motor mite do a lower drift so i can side drift

Irishrover
Irishrover
Eggs has it nailed. Drift boat is best from Oxbow down, but from ubove Oxbow it's a toon or raft show. It is a easy drift from Oxbow to Dabney. There is an Island just after the boat ramp at Oxbow Most folks take river left. Sometimes it's good to stop and walk across the Island there is some good water in there to fish. The next hole down is known as the naked lady hole do not be suprised with what you might see there.....best bet is to keep your eyes on the water and fish.:shock:

The lower drift is slow water and you may have to be on the sticks just to get down. If the wind is blowing up river you may have to work at it. I've had that wind push me up stream on some days. There are a few places that motoring up river may be a challenge. Right by the Troutdale bridge is one, the rapids up from Tadds is another. Jet boat seem to slip threw it ok though.

The only other thing that the Sandy does....is fill the water with sand. If there is a big water event and wind sometimes some of the holes get choked with suspended sand and that does not help the fishing. If you need a schuttle service I've had real good luck with Grant shuttle.

Sandy River Shuttle - Grant
503-312-9204

Good luck

Last edited:
A
alseaalumaweld
thanks for the great info

H
hunt-fish-trap
I have floated the dodge to oxbow drift many many times in a drift boat. both in my glass and in a willies. its doable but you do have to be careful in a couple of spots.