Rivers Sandy River Fishing Reports

Diehard
Diehard
Anyone here about a twenty pounder coming out of the lower river my son mentioned it being caught on Sunday I believe. fishing the upper River last few wknds no luv yet☺

Tweeder79
Tweeder79
Well. Yesterday on the Sandy, my wife nailed a beautiful native on her second cast. It gave her a good fight but she landed it and we got the hen back safely. We didn't have a scale but I'd guess 10-12 lbs. She had two more strikes but missed. I had one 'maybe' strike that could have been the bottom. Saw one fish roll. All in all a good day

my2labs
my2labs
I love watching my wife catch Steelies. Better than me doing it. Congrats to you and your lady!

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
There is a partially submerged tree completely across the river at the logjam upriver from camp Angelos. I informed a Multnomah county sheriff. The right hand side around the island is clear.

Reactions: Raincatcher and Aervax
Hooked Up
Hooked Up
The tree is still there. Called the sheriff's office and reported it again. Got a call back and the matter is being forwarded to the coast guard.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Floated the Sandy and it looks like the tree has been partially removed. I didn't actually float the LH side, went around the RH side of the island and looked up river and appears to be clear.

Hooked Up
Hooked Up
Correction! The tree is still there just sagging lower in the water. I was able to row across it. My apologies for the misinformation.

Diehard
Diehard
Anyone been getting after coho yet? I know the river has been low just curious if there's any flushable numbers yet been a while since I fished it and would like to get out there maybe next week if we get a bump in the flows.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Have not heard much about the river. Lots of smoke in the air up river from Dodge Park. Not sure what the lower river looks like,

Diehard
Diehard
Ty👍

Admin
Admin
The springer season has all but ended for this year, but you will find one here and there. The summer steelhead are still around but you will have to fish the upper river to find them. Coho should start showing up in with the rain that is forecasted and will only get better as time passes. Please be safe and stay home until the weather changes and smoke clears out. So wishing everyone tight lines and best of luck. So a heart felt prayer goes out to those who have lost everything. Please be safe. PS If you catch a coho and take a picture of this year fish, send it to me and I will try my best to get it published on The Guides Forecast.”

The Guides Forecast
The Guides Forecast
The lower river has given up some very nice fish and I’m referring from Dabney to mouth. The forecast is for more rain over the next couple of days which will pull more fish into the river. You will then find fish all the way up to the hatchery with about 3/4 of inch of rain forecasted. The water temp has dropped and the fish will be flying upriver. We could finally see the river go up over 8ft or higher by the weekend.”

R
reaper338
Hi all , I am new to salmon/steelhead fishing and I was thinking of going to Sandy river this Saturday possibly , if you guys have any pointers on what I should be using or where I should go I would greatly appreciate it. I mostly do trout fishing I just don't have a good idea on what to get or where to go. I don't have a boat I would be bank fishing (not fly fishing) Thank you for the help !

Irishrover
Irishrover
Start simple. Go to Oxbow Park and swing spoons or spinners. Start at the top of a pool and work your way down to the tail out. Look at some of the books published by Amato publishing on spoon fishing, spinner fishing and river salmon/steelhead fishing. Those books will go into great detail on technique and gear. Good luck.

Reactions: troutdude and freednog
R
reaper338
Irishrover said:
Start simple. Go to Oxbow Park and swing spoons or spinners. Start at the top of a pool and work your way down to the tail out. Look at some of the books published by Amato publishing on spoon fishing, spinner fishing and river salmon/steelhead fishing. Those books will go into great detail on technique and gear. Good luck.
great !! thank you , I will pick up some of those books too !

C
cchinook
reaper338 said:
Hi all , I am new to salmon/steelhead fishing and I was thinking of going to Sandy river this Saturday possibly , if you guys have any pointers on what I should be using or where I should go I would greatly appreciate it. I mostly do trout fishing I just don't have a good idea on what to get or where to go. I don't have a boat I would be bank fishing (not fly fishing) Thank you for the help !
The Sandy may still be muddy by then , the bulk of the coho are up at the hatchery already . You are going about
3 wks. to late . But there are still some at Oxbow Park. #4 Blue Fox spinners , jigging , and bobber and eggs .
Those huge fall nooks are showing up also , they are rarely clipped and usually to dark to keep. Steelhead will show in Nov.

troutdude
troutdude
Be sure that you have read, know, and understand the Zone Regulations for streams on page 42 in the reg book. Then flip or scroll over to page 42 and be sure that you also understand the Exceptions to Zone Regulations, for the Sandy.

It's good to be aware that an enforcement OFFicer expects you to know these regulations; BEFORE you head out. If you don't you could get zapped! So if you have any questions just ask us. Or if you need a quicker answer call ODFW: (800) 720-ODFW [6339]

http://www.eregulations.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/20ORFW_LR.pdf

R
reaper338
cchinook said:
The Sandy may still be muddy by then , the bulk of the coho are up at the hatchery already . You are going about
3 wks. to late . But there are still some at Oxbow Park. #4 Blue Fox spinners , jigging , and bobber and eggs .
Those huge fall nooks are showing up also , they are rarely clipped and usually to dark to keep. Steelhead will show in Nov.
Thank you for the info !!
Irishrover said:
yes I definitely will,
thank you !

Artwo
Artwo
I read that as of yesterday there was less than 4" of visibility in the Sandy, probably won't clear by Saturday.......

troutdude
troutdude
@reaper338 to tie into @Irishrover's comment about Amato Publishings books...the creme of the crop is Spinner Fishing for Steelhead, Salmon, and Trout by fellow Oregonian Jed Davis. It's our holy grail and written from a scientific, but easy to understand approach.

I read it from cover to cover when I got the first edition, back in the 80's, and it made all the difference! Try to get a 1st or 2nd edition, if you can scare one up. So you'll have the color plate pages of his spinner designs. They are works of art in their simplicity. But made to match specific environmental conditions, all explained in detail in Jed's masterpiece.

Right after my first reading I bought the recommended gear, and tackle. Then made my own all black #3 spinners. The first time out I went to Moonshine Park on the Siletz; and went 1 for 4 on Fall Nooks below a break dam! Did you get that? I hooked FOUR nooks with BLACK spinners! You just have to learn Jed's principles for yourself.

Top Bottom