Rivers Sandy River Fishing Reports

D
Dean
cchinook said:
The Sandy may still be muddy by then , the bulk of the coho are up at the hatchery already . You are going about
3 wks. to late . But there are still some at Oxbow Park. #4 Blue Fox spinners , jigging , and bobber and eggs .
Those huge fall nooks are showing up also , they are rarely clipped and usually to dark to keep. Steelhead will show in Nov.
I went to the Sandy just to get away from the house this weekend and throw a spinner and you are 100% correct. I saw a lot of chinook but they were pretty dark and seemed like they were close to the end of their run. Even if I caught something clipped I wouldn't have kept it. I spotted this fellow on the shore:

IMG_4996.jpeg

Like I said, I was using a spinner but I saw people using eggs and other rigs with no luck (my understanding is: chinooks don't care about eating when they are spawning and mostly bite eggs out of curiosity). Anyway, it was absolutely beautiful on the Sandy this weekend:

IMG_4989.jpeg

Hope the OP made it there and had a nice day!

Reactions: Irishrover and troutdude
mijacques
mijacques
Had a couple hours of learning on the Sandy today!

Reactions: Admin
DOKF
DOKF
Beautiful day on the water! Any luck?

mijacques
mijacques
No only went to check the place out since I never been there before. Fished for about an hour or so then headed home.

DOKF
DOKF
The scenery is always worth it!

mijacques
mijacques
For sure! Trying to find places to fish in the area since I just started fishing the rivers!

DOKF
DOKF
Good to scope out the rivers early. So many to choose from, and you will need to focus on just a few once the fish start biting. Only so many days in a week ...

Reactions: Oregonloved
mijacques
mijacques
True that! Found a nice spot in the Sandy I've been going to. Went this morning, got nothing but had fun!

D
Dean
I fished the Sandy for steelhead today using a bead. Beautiful day and I had a great time, but there were no fish there. Met several other fisherman (it was a crowded day!) and nobody else caught anything. Also saw a charter service drifting and they didn't have any better luck than me. Water level is high, which leads me to wonder if maybe next weekend will be better as water drops?

I got rained on initially but as the day progressed it turned into picture perfect weather. Anyway, here are some pics of the river.

Reactions: Admin
Top Bottom