San Diego gear info.

R
rum runner
im heading to san diego for a week in august and will be fishing for part of it i grew up fishing the salt off the oregon coast so i shouldnt be asking ?'s but its always good to learn.

ill be after the deigo. bay fish ie. bass and halibut iv been watching vids and looking up info on it and narrowed it down to my 10' steel head spin rod with 12lb test and im stuck on my bait caster and my new 8' ultra light with 10lb test for the smaller sand and calico bass pitching 1-2 inch swim baits.

any info would be great just lookn for impute from some one who might know more obout fishing there then i do.

Casting Call
Casting Call
boat or bank?

R
RoryONeal
I grew up fishing Southern California salt water in Newport, Huntington, Seal Beach and a couple trips to Point Loma in SD. The one thing I would always do when pier fishing or boat fishing was use spoons or something similar for Makerel. Then I would use the makerel for bait. I would mostly get Bonitos and sea bass using this method. One interesting fish I would catch in SD were Kelp Cods but I never kept them. One thing I would stress when fishing there (never been ocean fishing in Oregon so not sure this applies here too) is to make sure your line goes past the first layer of fish quickly. If the boat captain is chumming the waters, the makerel will swarm and you'll be stuck catching bait fish.

Casting Call
Casting Call
You can buy live bait (anchovy) hook them through the upper lip only,lower them below the layer of bait fish and watch the action happen. CC

R
rum runner
i hope to get out on a boat 1 of the days im there but it looks like ill be fishing from the bank thats why im focusing on lighter spin gear and maybe my bait caster for the boat if i get to go out on it.

R
RoryONeal
If you want to fish from the beach, try to do it early in the AM or late at night when the tide is incoming. Best to scout your spot first to see what it looks like at low tide so you can get an idea of where fish might hang. You should get a host of cool fish including walleye, surf perch, croaker, some small sharks and halibut if you're lucky. Try Blacks Beach or Coronado. Mission Beach and Torrey Pines are good as well.

Casting Call
Casting Call
It's surf casting on the beach or pier fishing. I would do the later cuz the water is deeper. Keep in mind that the waters are warmer in San Diego than Oregon and it has a lot of different food chains and activity. Lots of different levels to fish. San Diego is famous for it's shark population in the summer months. Please let us know how done when you return. CC

R
rum runner
Sounds good to me i have heard coronado is good and i still got a few months juat lookn into my options on gear and locations.

Top Bottom