Salt corroded fish finder

J
JeannaJigs
So does anyone have any suggestions or input aside from the obvious that I can think of to help me out here...I borrowed my dad's fish finder a few times to fish the tide water for Chinook...long story short, the salt has started to corrode the terminals where the cable connects from the battery to the unit. My thoughts are...carefully brushing it out with a wire brush (i have one with fine wire bristles designed for scrubbing surgical instruments) with a vinegar solution, and then rinsing it with a baking soda mixture to neutralize that acid and letting it thoroughly dry out

not sure it's even repairable...

I might just suck it up and buy him a new one, I'll hear about it until the end of time either way...but if I can get him a new one, and get this one workin' a little better...I will be able to keep it for myself, rather than buying yet another one down the road. It works...it just freaks out every now and then, increasingly, with a frozen screen of sorts. The depth just flashes at whatever depth it was at, and it quits marking fish and temperature etc.

H
halibuthitman
I have always lived by the rule that if I break Borrowed gear I replace it with something new.... and mabey a little bit of an up-grade if it warrants it... when a sportsman loans gear to you it usally means he sees you as a person who would treat things the way he would, replacing is a sure fire way to protect your " credit " score.

H
Hawk
JeannaJigs said:
So does anyone have any suggestions or input aside from the obvious that I can think of to help me out here...I borrowed my dad's fish finder a few times to fish the tide water for Chinook...long story short, the salt has started to corrode the terminals where the cable connects from the battery to the unit. My thoughts are...carefully brushing it out with a wire brush (i have one with fine wire bristles designed for scrubbing surgical instruments) with a vinegar solution, and then rinsing it with a baking soda mixture to neutralize that acid and letting it thoroughly dry out

not sure it's even repairable...

I might just suck it up and buy him a new one, I'll hear about it until the end of time either way...but if I can get him a new one, and get this one workin' a little better...I will be able to keep it for myself, rather than buying yet another one down the road. It works...it just freaks out every now and then, increasingly, with a frozen screen of sorts. The depth just flashes at whatever depth it was at, and it quits marking fish and temperature etc.

If the terminals can't be saved, cut them off, strip the insulation from the wire (wire stripper pliers) & replace them.

First get proper size terminals from a marine or auto parts store.

If you get into the salt often, ask at the store for a good product to brush on the terminals, to prevent corrosion.

Best of Luck Sis...:D

I Hope your feeling better Fast...:pray:

J
JeannaJigs
halibuthitman said:
I have always lived by the rule that if I break Borrowed gear I replace it with something new.... and mabey a little bit of an up-grade if it warrants it... when a sportsman loans gear to you it usally means he sees you as a person who would treat things the way he would, replacing is a sure fire way to protect your " credit " score.

Yeah i'm gettin' him a new one, but i'd like to fix this one too.

J
JeannaJigs
Hawk said:
If the terminals can't be saved, cut them off, strip the insulation from the wire (wire stripper pliers) & replace them.

First get proper size terminals from a marine or auto parts store.

If you get into the salt often, ask at the store for a good product to brush on the terminals, to prevent corrosion.

Best of Luck Sis...:D

I Hope your feeling better Fast...:pray:

That's what I think i'm going to do...I was gonna call the manufacturer and see if they have the replacement parts. This is the first time it's been in the salt..and..i don't know that it's gonna be in it again...but I'll look into some sort of product to brush on the terminals. As for feelin' better...I dont know what I got, but it's not goin' away...unfortunately they fired someone at work, so I have to work..there's no one else. So here I am.

H
Hawk
JeannaJigs said:
That's what I think i'm going to do...I was gonna call the manufacturer and see if they have the replacement parts. This is the first time it's been in the salt..and..i don't know that it's gonna be in it again...but I'll look into some sort of product to brush on the terminals. As for feelin' better...I dont know what I got, but it's not goin' away...unfortunately they fired someone at work, so I have to work..there's no one else. So here I am.

On another forum i go to the Mod's son had 104.5 temp, she took him to the ER

H1N1 test = negative

they gave him IV fluids to rehydrate & antibiotics

XRAYS showed pneumonia spot on lung she said.

TAKE CARE SIS................:pray:

J
JeannaJigs
Hawk said:
On another forum i go to the Mod's son had 104.5 temp, she took him to the ER

H1N1 test = negative

they gave him IV fluids to rehydrate & antibiotics

XRAYS showed pneumonia spot on lung she said.

TAKE CARE SIS................:pray:

Thank ya, I just have a virus I think... I did a rapid inflluenza a&b test on myself and it was negative, so I'm not concerned. Haven't had a fever with this, did have an ear infection a couple weeks ago though with a fever. Initially I just thought it was food poisoning, but i think it's just a fun stomach virus.

I
INSAYN
Before I use electrical powered hardware in the salt, I blow the connections clear of any dust with compressed air. Squirt on a dose of Corrosion-X. Give a few minutes to stick the terminals. Blow off excess with light compressed air. Then fill all the connection cavities with dielectric grease and plug everything in.

So far this has been the A-1 way of preventing corrosion. I haven't had any issues yet with two different fish finders, or my VHF radio. One of the fish finders, and my VHF have repeatedly been dunked while punching my kayak through the breakers at the beach.

After a day in the salt, it gets a good rinse, and then the dielectric grease is reapplied.

J
JeannaJigs
INSAYN said:
Before I use electrical powered hardware in the salt, I blow the connections clear of any dust with compressed air. Squirt on a dose of Corrosion-X. Give a few minutes to stick the terminals. Blow off excess with light compressed air. Then fill all the connection cavities with dielectric grease and plug everything in.

So far this has been the A-1 way of preventing corrosion. I haven't had any issues yet with two different fish finders, or my VHF radio. One of the fish finders, and my VHF have repeatedly been dunked while punching my kayak through the breakers at the beach.

After a day in the salt, it gets a good rinse, and then the dielectric grease is reapplied.

Thanks so much!! very good to know!

I
INSAYN
BTW - I have only been able to find Corrosion-X online and it is kind of expensive. A little goes along way.

Works AWESOME on saltwater reel bearings too!

J
JeannaJigs
INSAYN said:
BTW - I have only been able to find Corrosion-X online and it is kind of expensive. A little goes along way.

Works AWESOME on saltwater reel bearings too!

Good to know, won't need it for another year, so it's all lgood