Salmonberry?

Y
Yohan
I see that this river closes April 1st for steelhead. Does that mean that it stays closed when tout season opens on May 22nd or can a person fish for trout (but not target steelhead) on that river then. I apologize if this sounds like a stupid question, but I just moved here from Washington and just making sure I understand the Oregon reg's correctly (reading Wash.'s fishing regulations is like reading hieroglyphs, unless you know it, it is hard to figure out).

Thanks

B
beaverfan
If Steelhead season closes and it doesn't have a date for it to re-open later in the year it is closed for Steelhead. When trout season opens you won't be able to "target" them.

Y
Yohan
beaverfan said:
When trout season opens you won't be able to "target" them.

Ok, so after May 22nd you can fish for tout?
The "closed" in the special regulation section is what was confusing me. I wasn't sure if it was just closed to steelhead or closed to all fishing.

B
beaverfan
Hold on I'm gonna look in the book real quick and get back to you

Looks like it's closed to all angling April 1 - October 31. Probably to protect all of the native smolt in the river.

Last edited:
Y
Yohan
Thanks

H
halibuthitman
unless you fly fish... very well, you would do better to fish the North fork of the Nehalem. The salmonberry is patroled all season by volunteers who will report you and take pictures of you catching steelhead, even if by accident, and it could result in a ticket. It also is a difficult river to fish... and in closing, I hate running into someone else up there... so unless you get up at 3'50 in the morning... I will have already fished every hole you come to.

C
chris61182
Dang, I didn't realize the Salmonberry was effectively closed to trout altogether. I also was hoping to hit it up once the season opened, I just hadn't gotten around to looking at it in the regulations.

H
halibuthitman
ok... so heres the scoop... at least from my point of view on this little jem, It is in fact the largest native run on the north coast, but a very finicky river that is prone to dissapoint in many fashions, 1. it blows out instantly, 2. it is an intimate river that takes a decent amount of trips to really figure out. 3. when you finally figure it out... it changes. 4. it is now tresspassing to walk on the railroad tracks... and you will get a fine if caught. 5. the fish are finicky, often not there and you would swear it is a dead river. 6. the storms of december 3rd 3 years ago wasted several logging roads in its tribs.. and the spawning beds are starting to choke from the silt and the river and run is in a very dangerous position of a possible run collapse. It is often visited by out of area folk who fish it poorly and terrify the fish for the day... so get there first.. very early. It is a very nice small sometimes huge river... but often results in a skunk.... or one of the most memorable days of fishing you will have..... please handle it with care. And pack your ****** **** out please.

Y
Yohan
halibuthitman said:
unless you fly fish... very well, you would do better to fish the North fork of the Nehalem. The salmonberry is patroled all season by volunteers who will report you and take pictures of you catching steelhead, even if by accident, and it could result in a ticket. It also is a difficult river to fish... and in closing, I hate running into someone else up there... so unless you get up at 3'50 in the morning... I will have already fished every hole you come to.

Those scare tactics don't work on me :) Looks like I'll be seeing you there at O' dark thirty, don't worry I'll bring the Jameson. Also, I fly fish 95% of the time and 100% of the time when trout fishing so I think I can handle it. :cool:

halibuthitman said:
ok... so heres the scoop... at least from my point of view on this little jem, It is in fact the largest native run on the north coast, but a very finicky river that is prone to dissapoint in many fashions, 1. it blows out instantly, 2. it is an intimate river that takes a decent amount of trips to really figure out. 3. when you finally figure it out... it changes. 4. it is now tresspassing to walk on the railroad tracks... and you will get a fine if caught. 5. the fish are finicky, often not there and you would swear it is a dead river. 6. the storms of december 3rd 3 years ago wasted several logging roads in its tribs.. and the spawning beds are starting to choke from the silt and the river and run is in a very dangerous position of a possible run collapse. It is often visited by out of area folk who fish it poorly and terrify the fish for the day... so get there first.. very early. It is a very nice small sometimes huge river... but often results in a skunk.... or one of the most memorable days of fishing you will have..... please handle it with care. And pack your ****** **** out please.

This is why I want to fish it! I'm an active TU member and respect all fisheries. I was unaware that it was such a delicate fishery so I'll shut up now. Just wanted to know if it was open to trout after May 22nd. Thanks for the info halibut, much appreciated.

H
halibuthitman
No one owns a river... at least in oregon... I hope you catch the one.... that I saw... that still haunts me... Good fishin-