Salmonberry steelhead?

I
IdahoNative
I heard about this river recently. It sounds like an ideal spot to me. I would love to go somewhere where a little more secluded with a possible hike in. Does anybody have any information on this place? I was thinking of hitting up the Salmonberry rather than the Wilson sometime next week. I plan on going after steelhead (are there any left?) and whatever else bites.

I would love to know what you guys think.

B
Berg03
It is a native run only, please care for the fish that you hook.
Yes there are still steel in most of the rivers. Your best bet is to just go out and hike the river and find where you want to fish. GL

Last edited:
O
OnTheDrop
Shhh.. No fish in the berry...

troutdude
troutdude
It is only open, for retention, of hatchery fish. If it has an adipose fin, it must be released unharmed (see my tag line). And it closes, to all steelhead fising, on March 31st.

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
troutdude said:
It is only open, for retention, of hatchery fish. If it has an adipose fin, it must be released unharmed (see my tag line). And it closes, to all steelhead fising, on March 31st.

more than that, it is "Closed to all angling Apr 1 - Oct 31." which means it is never open to angling for trout. cheers, roger

Casting Call
Casting Call
Also take a rope! 100footer. Tony

D
DrTheopolis
It's been 20+ years for me. But my random thoughts:

It's hike-in only.

It's thought to be the last true, healthy run of true natives in Oregon.

The entire river is pretty much one continuous waterfall -- I think it drops about 100' feet per mile.

It's natives only -- if you go, fish barbless.

It's unbelievably difficult to fish. Mostly canyons.

When I've went, we saw massive fish in every pool. And the second you try to get to the pool, they're gone.

The hiking is much better than the fishing.

You can fish for the same fish in the mainstem Nehalem below Salmonberry, and access is much better, and it doesn't get crowded (and it doesn't get any hatchery fish, so again, fish barbless).

I'm not sure if they ever rebuilt the bridge over the Salmonberry.

M
Modest_Man
Floods in 2007 flushed out a lot of the spawning gravel. Fish numbers are not like they were 20 years ago (from what I've heard; I've only fished it more recently than 2007). They were making repairs to the lower tracks the last time I was out there (last season), which entailed active heavy machinery along the river and on the rails. Not sure what the repairs are like this year.

Casting Call
Casting Call
IdahoNative said:
I heard about this river recently. It sounds like an ideal spot to me. I would love to go somewhere where a little more secluded with a possible hike in. Does anybody have any information on this place? I was thinking of hitting up the Salmonberry rather than the Wilson sometime next week. I plan on going after steelhead (are there any left?) and whatever else bites.

I would love to know what you guys think.
I-----N check your inbox re:private messages