Sandy River Salmon Fishing

P
plucas
Hey guys,
I'm pretty new to this site and fishing in Oregon. I was wanting to try my luck on the Sandy river tomorrow but am not to familiar with the area. I would like to try fishing for salmon as I have not done so for 10 years (since I moved away from Alaska). I'm guessing the procedures are the same, spinners, drifting jig or bait but was wondering if anyone could give me some pointers so I don't aggravate any locals. What types of setups are people using? I have heard that R&B spinners do quite well although I am not sure how fast the river is running so don't know what to go for. Do # 3 and 4 size spinners work well? I am a student which, means I am on a limited budget therefore will be using my rapala medium weight pole and a spinning reel. I hope to buy a bigger rod and stronger reel in the near future (in 3 weeks). Suggestions on that would be nice as well as I would like to buy a rod good for steelhead and salmon. I know this is asking a lot and I will appreciate any information available as well as post how things go and what works for me when it does work for me.

Cheers all, get the beers in.

-P

M
mgdguy
Hi Plucas,

You're a little early - we're waiting for the Coho to enter the system. Keep checking the forum for reports and go through the archives. There is a TON of info about what to use to catch 'em! ;)

P
plucas
Thanks for the info will look around and get some ideas.

M
mgdguy
The only reason I'm not giving you my personal advice is that I'm still a Coho Virgin :confused:

I hear that certain spinners, or drifting or floating eggs are the way to go. And some jigs get 'em. Last fall was my first season, which I didn't start on until it was halfway over. But I didn't have any luck with ANY of those methods. So until I have some experience to talk about I'll leave the gear advice to the experts ;)

H
here2fish
If you are looking for the cheapest most widely used rig for coho I would say get yourself a couple colors (orange and red are a couple of my faves) of glo bug yarn. Set up a regular drift rig and slip a piece of yarn under the bait loop. Now put in water and pull out fish

P
plucas
here2fish said:
If you are looking for the cheapest most widely used rig for coho I would say get yourself a couple colors (orange and red are a couple of my faves) of glo bug yarn. Set up a regular drift rig and slip a piece of yarn under the bait loop. Now put in water and pull out fish

Sounds good and cheap, I appreciate it. It sounds as though I may be a bit early however, I am going to head up in the AM and if all else fails I will do some trout fishing or maybe head to the Bonneville and throw some spinners. Just want to be out on the water really.

Thanks for the info guys.:D

M
mgdguy
Good luck!

H
here2fish
plucas said:
Sounds good and cheap, I appreciate it. It sounds as though I may be a bit early however, I am going to head up in the AM and if all else fails I will do some trout fishing or maybe head to the Bonneville and throw some spinners. Just want to be out on the water really.

Thanks for the info guys.:D

If I was going to hit the Sandy right now I would go to the mouth and walk out on the sand bar- last year it extended out into the columbia making it possible to walk out there a ways.

Try chucking spinners out there and you might get lucky.

P
plucas
Right on. Thanks for the info man.

H
here2fish
If you hit it up let us know what you see! :D

F
fishsauce
If you want to fish the Sandy then best person to get info would be Rob Brown of R&B Tackle, Jacks Tackle here on OFF. His shop is on the lower Sandy, so he knows that river better than anyone else.