Salmon vs steelhead

K
Kais
Just wondered what you guys think, which is easier to catch. Categories are aggresiveness, how easy it is to get them to bite, which are easier to find, and anything else

S
SantiamDrifter
Wow well it really depends. It depends on your experience level. If you have it dialed in then it isn't too hard to get fish to bite. But if your a newb, then its very hard. So asking which one bites better all depends on how much experience the person answering has.

Aggresiveness? I'd go summer steelhead, then spring chinook just because of water conditions. Chinook are easier to find, steelhead tend to move around a lot more.

R
rippin fish lips
SantiamDrifter said:
Wow well it really depends. It depends on your experience level. If you have it dialed in then it isn't too hard to get fish to bite. But if your a newb, then its very hard. So asking which one bites better all depends on how much experience the person answering has.

Aggresiveness? I'd go summer steelhead, then spring chinook just because of water conditions. Chinook are easier to find, steelhead tend to move around a lot more.

yeah chinook are easy to find, but to me stealhead are easier to find and are more agressive cuz the water conditions.

E
eightweight
Id say that salmon are easier to find/harder to get to bite...and that steelhead are almost always willing to bite, but harder to find....that said theres always exceptions haha

T
Troutier Bassier
Steelhead are easier to catch I think. I've hooked twice as many steelhead as I have salmon. But you just gotta find fish.
Salmon are still my favorite though.

M
Mad dog
Kais said:
Just wondered what you guys think, which is easier to catch. Categories are aggresiveness, how easy it is to get them to bite, which are easier to find, and anything else

Easiest to catch? Coho!!! Coho take the cake as far as being aggressive....they bite spoons and spinners with reckless abandon! Splash around noisely on the surface in huge schools so they are easy to find.

Steelhead to me are as toss up! Winter or summer pretty even in all categories! People say summers are more aggressive but I have seen 5 winters hooked in as many casts....that seems pretty aggresive to me!

I would rate them in this order, easy to most difficult overall. Coho, winter steelhead, summer steelhead, fall chinook, spring chinook.

Reactions: bigsteel
brandon4455
brandon4455
so far, salmon have been easier for me. and i love to fish for them. but i haven't caught a full sized steelhead yet so i can't really answer that question

M
markasd
I have had the best of both worlds.. had days when the steelhead wont stop eating and get bored with landing em - had days when they wont eat at all. Have had days when the salmon wont eat a bite - then have had days when we couldn't keep em the hook!?

Aggressive = steelhead I feel are more aggressive.
Easy to get to bite = too many factors here to say one or the other.
Easier to find = depends on the time of year, both.
Anything else = pound for pound I'll fight the steelhead over a salmon any day of the year.

my .02
mark

Reactions: metalfisher76
M
metalfisher76
markasd said:
I have had the best of both worlds.. had days when the steelhead wont stop eating and get bored with landing em - had days when they wont eat at all. Have had days when the salmon wont eat a bite - then have had days when we couldn't keep em the hook!?

Aggressive = steelhead I feel are more aggressive.
Easy to get to bite = too many factors here to say one or the other.
Easier to find = depends on the time of year, both.
Anything else = pound for pound I'll fight the steelhead over a salmon any day of the year.

my .02
mark

+1

H
halibuthitman
chrome Brite sockeye are hands down the hardest fish to legaly hook, chum salmon are by far my favorite salmon to chase, kings are only hard becouse of the competition and pressure, steelhead are pretty much sitting ducks if you can see them, and get harder to catch as the water gets bigger, summers are like trout fishing and brite coho are the highest odds of a limit.. but as was said before... timing, location, and knowledge are the factors that effect succes the most- Brad

K
Kais
Oh and fun, because thats why we fish. Ya i think the fact of how hard people hit the water in the cold winter, going through so much, is a testament to how great steelhead are, even though ive yet to catch one