Salmon story on Tillamook Bay

• Thread starter Marvin's Guide Service
  • Start date
M

Marvin's Guide Service

just had to tell this story, I was fishing on Tillamook Bay in Oregon for king salmon on 10-18-10.

My clients and I left the Garibaldi boat dock around 7:30am. We headed out on the bay toward the jetty, I dropped my crab pots on the north side of the South jetty over by the number 6 marker. Then, we headed back towards the ghost hole. We fished there for a few hours with no luck. We decided to go check our crab pots, we had pretty good luck on the crabs.

After I put fresh bait in the crab pots, I headed out toward the tower and fished there for a few hours, not much going on there.

I decided to go across the jetty to the north side of the south jetty and troll back toward my crab pots.

I got half way back with one of the rods hammered to the bay, we set the hook and fish on then, I looked at the other rod and it was also hammered to the water 2 fish on!

When we got the Salmon close to the boat I thought the lines were tangled, I got the Salmon in the net, and started to look at the lines and guess what? The salmon had both baits in it’s mouth. That’s right he hit both rods and all 4 hooks were in its mouth, but this was one nice 35 pound Salmon.

kirkster

kirkster

I have no idea. And it's gettin dark fast.
Wow thats the first Ive heard of actually the fish hitting two rigs. Thats awesome. Im assuming it was plug cut herring and if so. I want to find out your secret on your plug cut or roll. LOL I think I can get a good roll on a herring but never had a fish eat two before it realized uhoh.

M

Marvin's Guide Service

Yes plug cut herring was the bait. that was the first time I ever had a fish take 2 baits. pretty cool I thought!

J

Johnny Southpaw

Cool! Sure that doesn't happen too often. Makes me think of the springer I caught this year that had someone else's wiggle wart in it's mouth, along with my spinner. I snapped a picture, posted it on OFF and wouldn't you know the original owner of the wiggle wart PM'd me to let me know that he was the original owner of the wiggler, and had been fishing the same area a few hours earlier from when I hooked the fish...all in a day's fishing I suppose.

D

Drew9870

Banned User
Same thing happened to me and my buddy on a creek fishing for Trout though. I set the hook on a fish, and as I was reeling it, I noticed my buddies line moving so I told him to set it, by the time he did, I had the 10 inch Trout on shore with my buddies hook in its gut and my hook in the lip. That is about a once in a lifetime experience.

C

Coho Kid

Great Story, thanks for posting.

I once had a buddy step on my herring. We were kinda short for the day so I tossed out my smushed bait anyway. It was rolling in a big slow weird flopping sort of thing. It would veer way over then flop and swing back. I was letting it out and saying, no way am I going to hit a fish on this bait. Just as I set the rod down my buddy says here comes the shelf you'll want to make sure you're not too far out. Wham Wham Wham goes my rod. Well I guess I was too far out, start to reel in and Scream goes my clicker. Still can't believe that springer ate bait off my friends dirty shoe that had such a ridiculous roll.

kirkster

kirkster

I have no idea. And it's gettin dark fast.
Yes plug cut herring was the bait. that was the first time I ever had a fish take 2 baits. pretty cool I thought!

Absolutly amazing, Something about those two herring flat ticked that fish off. I've had a rod go down and have that fish fowl hook another rod in the boat. And its interesting trying to coach two people and get it netted. Ive caught several fish with lures in its mouth and hear about it as well. But IMO for a fish to get hooked especially a fresh fish right there at the jaws. In my experience anyway as soon as you bury a hook. And the reel screamin line and that fish is headin back out to sea. So for a fish two just have two hooks dug in and still get inticed to strike. Wow very cool.

M

Marvin's Guide Service

The lady that got the first bite put it on her tag. I would post a picture but having trouble on this site. But I have a picture posted on my facebook fan page.

brandon4455

brandon4455

awesome story sounds like it was fun. congrats on the 35lber!

T

The Nothing

I was out there that day, it was one hell of a fish!

S

Sea Monkey

Same thing happened to me and my buddy on a creek fishing for Trout though. I set the hook on a fish, and as I was reeling it, I noticed my buddies line moving so I told him to set it, by the time he did, I had the 10 inch Trout on shore with my buddies hook in its gut and my hook in the lip. That is about a once in a lifetime experience.

that happened to my dad and i, almost exactly.

Top Bottom