Salmon/ Steelhead fishing on Friday 8/4

L
love2fish
Hi guys,

I am new to the forum and planning on heading fishing on Friday with a friend and am wondering where the runs of steelhead/coho might be right now? We are willing to drive an hour or so from the Greater Portland area to find a good spot. I have a couple spots that I know of that I have been to so far on the Sandy (Cedar Creek, Dodge Park) but have not caught anything at either of those places. Anyone have any recommendations for rivers we could check out to find either steelhead or coho?

I heard through the fishing grapevine that the run of silvers would be in the Sandy around Sept 15th but I'm wondering where I might go before then to find some good fish :)

Also, for steelies I was recommended a few blue fox lures - anyone say otherwise for lure selection? I have an 8'6 spinning rod set up with 12lb test and 10lb leader.

Very new to the sport so take it easy ;-)

Thanks,
Chris

F
Fishtopher
Sounds like you are fishing good water, but I might try a little higher than the most popular spots. As for the BF's, if they are 4's, and dark colored, or smaller with brighter colors, you are fishin' with the possibility of catchin'.
There might be a few groups of Coho milling around the river, but chances are slim.

Good luck.

L
luv2fish
there's fish at eagle creek on clack....near dowty bridge....
kinda hard to catch'em..cuz they are so spooked but there are 30-50 fish right under the bridge....well a lil on the opposite and towards the right...to be very precise...

F
Fishtopher
You been fishing there Raj? Got some or what?!

L
luv2fish
yeah i got some silvers...2 exactly..but not there..... yeah i saw people fishing there and one fish on the bank on sunday.....i almost got one at mouth of clack but my spinning reel was messed up and the drag was very loose...by the time i hooked fish and whatnot... the fish made a run...off the "point"...it was way beyond the point in fast waters...and with 10# line man...with that of a distance..i knew what was gonna happen...my line snapped....
but yeah i still got a hen and a buck ...again..not at the clack mouth either...

F
Fishtopher
Right on man. Hopefully the first(s) of many to come right!

T
Troutier Bassier
Theres Coho in The Clack?!?!?

L
love2fish
Thanks!

Thanks!

Hey thanks,

I will try Eagle Creek area - can't wait to catch my first steelhead or coho :)

I'm sure we'll have a good time even if we don't catch anything but a nice photo would be great!

I'll report back after our trip Friday!

I might try and get some darker bf's - right now I have a chrome silver blue fox and then a couple with a yellow tip. Should I try and get a bronze colored blue fox?

Chris

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:

No, he was just talking about that river over there. :rolleyes:

F
Fishtopher
Troutier Bassier said:

Thats what he said!:lol:

F
FishSchooler
love2fish said:
Hey thanks,

I'm sure we'll have a good time even if we don't catch anything but a nice photo would be great!

I might try and get some darker bf's - right now I have a chrome silver blue fox and then a couple with a yellow tip. Should I try and get a bronze colored blue fox?

Chris

Try using sharpies, they work! If the blade is nickel (silver/chrome color), try coloring it with yellow if you want a brass color. Black blades are supposed to work in any condition... black sharpie!

Reactions: love2fish
L
love2fish
So "paint" the entire lure black with the sharpie?

T
Troutier Bassier
Fishtopher said:
Thats what he said!:lol:
Sorry, I got to go buy some stuff.

F
Fishtopher
Experiment! Do the back side of a blade black, or just the body, or a black dot in the middle of the front, etc..

L
love2fish
Nice

Nice

Fishtopher said:
Experiment! Do the back side of a blade black, or just the body, or a black dot in the middle of the front, etc..

Ok great! Thanks for the tips - I'll give it a whirl - experimenting never hurt anyone :)

I'm stoked to get out on the water.

F
FishSchooler
love2fish said:
Ok great! experimenting never hurt anyone :)

Um... Im not so sure about that one... :D

For the best black finish, try "Sharpie Industrial" Perm Markers. I found one in a box of pens/pencils, and it is 5 times better than regular sharpies. I dont know if regular stores sells them though.

L
love2fish
Alright, I'll see if I can find one of those puppies. You fishing this weekend? If so, where are you headed?

L
luv2fish
love2fish said:
Hey thanks,

Chris

if you want to try bluefox....and a die hard bluefox guy, try the one with green body...but i won't do that under dowty bridge...try to throw your smallest hook possible ( i use gami size 3) with a red egg..you know like pautzke...just one small egg and nothing heavier then 8lb line...

K
Kodiak
luv2fish said:
there's fish at eagle creek on clack....near dowty bridge....
kinda hard to catch'em..cuz they are so spooked but there are 30-50 fish right under the bridge....well a lil on the opposite and towards the right...to be very precise...

Currently on the cell with Osmosis. He standing directly on top of Dowty bridge, there are NO FISH ( 1 dark stinky steelie). I believe we just had our second coho false alarm. Please remain clam, I repeat there are NO COHO under Dowty bridge. This is just a drill.
This public service announcement has been brought to you by the people who care at TCOTACKLe.com

L
love2fish
Figured as much - but hey - thanks for checking it out!