Salmon slaying with Steelmonkiller

B
BaldTexan
Replied to Tanner about the open seat he posted for this weekend. I've been wanting to take a drift trip on one of the coastal rivers this fall.

Meet up in Tillamook at dark-thirty and Tanner tells me his other client just cancelled. I think maybe he got caught trying to sneak out without a kitchen pass. I was looking forward to meeting another OFF member. Well, we get the boat in the water and wait for a little visibility then start down the river. Tanner tells me the first hole always gives up a chinook. We come around then bend and there is a boat anchored right in the middle of the hole reeling in a chinook. Damn.

We go around them and Tanner hands me a spinning outfit to try for an early winter steel while we're drifting to the next hole. Cast and drift for a little ways and hooked a nice scrappy 20" SRC. Fun ice breaker and my first fish bobber dogging. Again Tanner tells me the next hole is pretty good. Again we get around the bend and there is a boat and a couple of guys wading and tossing spinners. Damn! We go around and fish the tail out which immediatety gave up a nice Jack just a 1/2" shy of adulthood. Try a bit longer and we start heading down river again.Tanner hands me the spinning rig again to try for early steel as we drift. Immediate bobber down. Nice bright, shiny Chum. Then another. Quite a bit of fun on lighter tackle and a good current, and my first Chum salmon.

We just about blaze through a hole, but Tanner backs the boat back to the top of the hole and said sometimes Chinook will sit in here for a short time then head on upriver. Luck of the timing. Well lady luck said it was the right time. HAWG on! a big ol' fatty! Knuckle bumping, photos, and high fiving. The boat is a glorious bloody mess! Back to fishing. Immediately another nice Chinook. Tagged out.

Great morning of fishing and had the honor of getting the first blood in Tanners new boat. You're welcome Tanner! :D Broken in proper.

This was the 2nd trip I took with Tanner. The guy flat knows where the fish are and when to head out to another spot. I'm stubborn and will try just about everything in the tackle box before leaving a fishy looking spot. Another great trip. Thanks again Bro

Yes - thats a grimace on my face in the shot holding up both nooks attempting to long arm both fish one handed. Fail!

IMG_3446.jpgIMG_3448.jpgIMG_3454.jpgIMG_3458.jpg

Reactions: rogerdodger
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
Outstanding, great report on a great day of fishing.

T
TimberTodd
Congratulations on a great day, that is a hawg! Tanner, congratulations on another happy client.

S
sapo
Geez those are some bright chums and wow what a big chinook!!! Awesomee

B
billfisher
Great day, no need to longarm that monster!

B
BaldTexan
Yep. I was a very happy client. Long arm attempt! Haha. I gave it a good effort but it whipped me!

It was pretty cool to get such fresh Chum when the bank was already littered with spawned out dead Chum.

B
bagold53
Nice catch and looks like Tanner got that nice new boat.

M
montym
Dang, didn't want to start my day with this. I was supposed to be that other chap, and I literally got caught without my pants. Halfway to Tillamook it started raining heavily and only then I realized that I had left my rain pants at home. So at 5:30 instead to Tillamook I was parking at beaverton.

Congratulation my friend, nice fish indeed.

B
BaldTexan
Missed ya man. Was looking forward to sharing the boat with ya after reading your entertaining story of last time! Didn't need the rain pants after all. The rain held off for us. Another time perhaps.

B
BaldTexan
billfisher said:
Great day, no need to longarm that monster!

To quote Tanner "Long arming for life!" LOL. Love that line.

O
OnTheDrop
Haha. Thanks Paul.. Was a great morning ( as usual when your in the boat )

You couldn't have long armed that fish if you tried.. Biggest to the boat this fall on it's first float... Yup, I think she's a good one... She treated well again this morning ;)

B
BaldTexan
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Haha. Thanks Paul.. Was a great morning ( as usual when your in the boat )

You couldn't have long armed that fish if you tried.. Biggest to the boat this fall on it's first float... Yup, I think she's a good one... She treated well again this morning ;)

Good to hear...but I don't think its the boat! You know the rivers we'll and how to find the biters. Well, unless it's the good luck I put on it. I did like the boat. Very stable and quiet. Not that you high centered it or anything!:lol: Haha. Just kidding

i hope you didn't take anyone to our super secret hole right in front of the boat launch at ten fish creek!;)

E
eugene1
Good going, guys!

congrats on the multi species trip!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
that sure is a sweet looking boat...;)

O
OnTheDrop
rogerdodger said:
that sure is a sweet looking boat...;)

Yeah Roger, can't wait to get you and your son out for some Steelhead next month...

Whenever I can pull my head out of my ass I'll write you back an adequate response to your PM.

Cheers

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
SteelmonKiller20 said:
Yeah Roger, can't wait to get you and your son out for some Steelhead next month...

Whenever I can pull my head out of my ass I'll write you back an adequate response to your PM.

Cheers

no worries here, Rachelle and I (and our old 'under the weather' Lab) are heading for Seattle tomorrow (go Cougs!), my schedule when we get back with the kids is still totally flexible...

Reel_Deal
Reel_Deal
Beautiful fish! I bet the guy that canceled is bummed out seeing the pics:)

S
steelhead_slayer
Me and a few friends will be taking trips with Tanner this year. I've fished with him before and definitely recommend his trips

B
BaldTexan
steelhead_slayer said:
Me and a few friends will be taking trips with Tanner this year. I've fished with him before and definitely recommend his trips

Good Lord! A Steelhead_Slayer and a Steelmonkiller in the same boat? The fish won't stand a chance!

O
OnTheDrop
Looking forward to it Wes!

Gosh, how un-clever of my 17 year old self to make this screen name. With over 1000 posts, I can't re-do it now. Steelmon for life haha.