Salmon rod length?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
After cruising the salmon section I find I have more questions than ever. One big concern is gear. Do I really need rods that exceed 10' to catch any of the salmon family? I have a sturgeon rod and a medium action 9' Shimanno that I just got a few months ago. I can get all the rest from the archives but I have not found a definitive statement with this information. Thanks for the use of your brain cells guys & gals, I appreciate them all. :D Be safe.
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
Nope. I use an 8'6" 8-12 for sub 20 pound Spring Chinook, and it performs well, could be an 8-15, but I'm happy. A few over 20 get rallied on it, but they are rare in the Clackamas so it does just fine. And I have a couple plug rods that are 7, and 8 feet. None of my Salmon gear is all that heavy, but if you are looking for a good deal on a very respectable Salmon/Steelhead rod, Fishermans is having a sale. And the Shimano Cennan is on sale from 220 somethin, down to 100 bucks. That rod in and 8-12 would handle any Salmon in your locale, no problem. A buddy has one in the 4-8 and it dominates Steelhead, so the up size will surely take on brutish Chinook of the Coastal rivers.

O
OneMore
When I was new to salmon/steelhead fishing took on alsea river fall chinook with a 7 ft rhino med action and a 20 doller spinning reel loaded with 30# fireline. Landed 4 fish that day and took home a really nice chrome hen in the 20-25 pound range.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
The right stuff

The right stuff

Thank you for the advice and encouragement,friends. Be safe.
Barb

A
ArcticAmoeba
The extra length of 10 footers, is mostly there to help with line control, and leverage for casting. I had a bobber rod in AK that was 11 feet long rated 20-40. No it was not a surf stick. It was used strictly for fishin incoming tides on certain rivers suspiciously similar to the Willy. The lane was on the far side, and it was 22-24 feet deep. And that 11 footer casted every last bit of the 1 1/2 - 2 oz. slip float rig we used in those settings. Otherwise I was drift fishin with an 8'6 10-20 for 30+ lb. Chinook, and an 8-12 for Sockeye, Steelhead, and even the Pinks and Chummers got to taste defeat to a garbage setup! Haha!:lol: But I'm sure you'll get gear situated in time for the Springers first peek into the rivers. They are fun, and fight with intention.

K
Kodiak
comfort zone

comfort zone

you are far better off with a stick you can use well and have some confidence in. I hava an 8-12# 8'6" spinning rod that puts a woopin' on steelies and springers. I've accidentally done a 30+ early fall nook on a 7 weight fly rod in early low water while chasing after sea run cutts. Just go with what feels good to you.

H
halibuthitman
Morning Raincatcher,
my salmon rod is a sage flyrod blank built into a spin rod, its finished length is 9'4 and rocks, EXCEPT it is difficult to land fish bymyself in a boat, and it totaly sucks in the wind ( tip is too sensetive and is vibrated and blown back and forth) on the good side it takes sensitive feel to a whole new level, and makes up for any overzelous hook setting I might find myself doing. I have recently found out it is also a friggin amazing bobber set-up rod. I myself would worry more about the rods pedigree, what it is made of and by who, than how long it is. There seems to be a couple rod builders on here, and I think you would be surprised how inexpensive a custom rod can be. Better reel seat, more guides than standard and a qaulity blank and its the last rod you will ever purchase. unless you thrash your gear a lot, Joes has celios for $45 right now, you can buy a couple and throw em away.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Raincatcher my favorite salmon rod is a G-Loomis GL-3 blank that a fellow out in Beaverton custom made for me. It was less exspensive than one off the rack. It was one of those once in a life time deals I couldn't pass up. It's a 7'9" one piece boat rod. It's shorter length works well on the boat both for fishing and storage. Fishing from the bank I like my 13' spey rod. ;)

B
BobberDown
i like the 9'6'' rods rated in 5-16 for drift fishing for salmon ranging from coho to springer it can be a little on the lite side for those big fall fish i have a 9 foot 12 to 25 i use for drift fishing for fall chinnock or a 10'6" for bobber and eggs or jigs and mooching or pulling pluggs i like the 9 foot 12 to 25 for divers and and a 8 foot 12 to 25 rod for back bounceing a good all around rod if you are on thebanck would be a 9 or 10 foot 12 to 25 it will handle any fish on are coast line i landed the biggest chinnok of my life on a lamaglass certifed pro that was 9 feet long 12- 25 on 12 pound maxima ultra green with a K14 kwickfish it was a 56 pound chinook on the smith river in northern cali it did take a little over an hour to land witch was about al I could handle a 13 years old but lamiglass make rods that are diznded fora spishifice method like mooching pulling plugs or drift fishing i like the certifed pros they have a life time warenty and if you are after chinnok you never know when youllhook that fish that will snap your rod it is nice to just drive to wood land and they hand you a new one they do offer seconds antthere facktory for for about 70 to a 100 dollarsless than they are at the retail stores good luck and i hope thisis some useful info thanks Dan

L
luv2fish
my fav salmon rod is 10'6 AIR IM 7 rated 20-80 lbs...i drifted with it..recently i started plunking with it...that tip really transmits bite....feels really limber but acts tough when you hook a fish...unmatched for the price.....can handle big salmons....and to tell you the truth...i tried drifting with it for steelhead..and it worked:)...its a great rod...i already had a 40 + lb salmon on that rod on the coast ( fall salmon) ..and it acted well...
Used it on boat with plugs.....absolutely great.

Last edited:
F
fish_4_all
8'6" or 9' is all I use. Have landed all size salmon and steelhead on them. All of them rated 8-20# test.

I have an 11' salmon/steelhead rod and I find it is a total waste unless I need to cast a mile and keep my line off the water for drifting a float. I use it more for jigging on the jetty because of the length.