Salmon River

S
Shadelady
Does anyone know when the Salmon river will be open for salmon? I keep reading over at ODFW and I am just confused. Any help is appreciated.

F
fishkiller29
its good in mid september threw october for fall chinook

T
TXfishingguy
Does anyone fish the Salmon River (near Welches, also the same one that dumps into the Sandy) for steelhead or trout?
I am renting a house on this river and was wondering how the fishing is. I talked to a guide who said this is the first time in 15 years that the Salmon River is opened to Steelhead harvesting. Does this mean there are high counts of fish?
Also, I noticed this is an artificial lure only river. What lures do you throw to catch these fish?

B
Bohemian
Stop by the fly fishing shop in Welches...you will get an "ear full" about the state mishandling this river and allowing people to keep any steelhead they happen to catch. I don't know if anyone really knows what is going on in this river.
It's only open to the end of the month. I went up there a couple of times in July, but didn't see any fish.

Wish I could help you more...

T
Troutier Bassier
I fished for Trout there, Back in August '08.
I hooked one,
My dad caught two
and our Friend caught 4
Rainbows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Irishrover
Irishrover
TXfishingguy said:
Does anyone fish the Salmon River (near Welches, also the same one that dumps into the Sandy) for steelhead or trout?
I am renting a house on this river and was wondering how the fishing is. I talked to a guide who said this is the first time in 15 years that the Salmon River is opened to Steelhead harvesting. Does this mean there are high counts of fish?
Also, I noticed this is an artificial lure only river. What lures do you throw to catch these fish?
I used to fish this piece of water quite often until they shut it down. That was like you said about 15 years ago. It was a great place to sight fish for steelhead. I used a 7wt fly rod and mid size wet flies. The best place to fish was a place called final falls. It is a tough place to hike into. Makes Cedar Creek on the Sandy look like a walk in the park. There are a lot of nice holes on that river that are an easy walk. After they closed it to fishing I just used the place as a great swimming river, But you have to love real cold water. I did not fish it this year because I'm splitting my time between Newport salmon fishing and Culver fly fishing for trout. The Salmon River is a catch and release river for trout excepting brook trout. Most of what folks catch and think are trout up there are salmon and steelhead smolts. The place had a good run of chinook and I would always find spawned out salmon there. A good thing to avoid while swimming! If you havent done this yet take the hike that starts by the bridge right near the campground. That trail is beautiful and will take you to a few great holes and my favorite swimming hole.

B
Bohemian
Checked out the Salmon river this morning around Brightwood

Checked out the Salmon river this morning around Brightwood

Wow -- is that water clear! The Sandy looks like a chocolate milkshake, but the Salmon river is so clear that you can't believe it. Unfortunately I only managed to catch trout. I may (not sure) have seen and spooked one steelhead. Maybe there are fish up where Irish Rover mentioned in his post. Such a beautiful area up there!

S
Siri
I'm going to try my luck here while it's open. I've hiked and snowshoed along the river many times and spotted several good fishing holes. And hiked into the Green canyon area, very nice. Such a pretty area, but I always wondered about the history and limited fishing season here. I'll post a report after I fish.

F
Fishtopher
Looks like the Salmon is open for hatchery steelhead retention through the 31st of this month....

T
TXfishingguy
Well I just got home from my vacation up there. Man was it beautiful. The Salmon river was in the backyard of the house we rented and I fished it every morning. Caught a couple nice rainbows on small spinners. Saw two NICE steelhead swimming together in a couple of the pools off salmon river road. Couldnt get them to bite though.

Also, we drove to Badger lake...Oh my god is it beautiful and the drive was intense. It took 2 hours to go 10 miles. didn't fish it for long cause we didn't want to drive back in the dark but saw several guys in float tubes catching some small trout.

can't wait to come back and catch a steelhead!

M
masmith
Heading to Salmon River first thing tomorrow AM.

Any suggestions? Only place I know is the bridge.

I am good with spinners but will have eggs and corkie yarn as backup.

Any thoughts on where, what strategy would be helpful.

Also- should I just stay in one spot, or should I constantly be moving?

Thanks.

S
solution7
Salmon river

Salmon river

101 bridge was shoulder to shoulder and your mom didn't even catch anything

A
autofisher
I was down at Powerline hole the other day and didn't see any fish. The one guy that was there said he had a hit, but I didn't see anything other than that. Went down to the 101 and had a hit on a TCO pink inferno mini. There weren't many people there at the time, lots of fish jumping, one State Trooper giving a warning(watch out where you park), a couple of seals and that's about it. Didn't bank or see anything banked. But after this last rain it could be better.

M
masmith
Went to the bridge for a while. No one caught anything. Went up river and fished up to the bend. One man caught what looked to be a 15-20 lbs nate coho and realeased. Besides that no hits or anything landed.

Heard rumors that a few were landed at the blackberry hole, where is that??

So long story short, way too many people- some jumping, but the bite isn't even close to being on.

And we used spinners, bobber and eggs, jigs and corkie and yarn.

I still have yet to catch my first river salmon, I think I am going to take a few weeks off.

L
les_robot
We fished 101 on Thursday afternoon, till about 6:00... saw a few breaking the surface..and a seal...but, other than that, nothing going on... only a dozen or so fishing, so at least no shoulder-to-shoulder like the weekend.. Went up to Forest Service Hole, about 6:00.... Maybe 10 or so cars... People we saw said it was dead there also..

S
Shadelady
well the fish are in, they just arent hungry- go figure. been out there the past few days and seen only one banked- heard about a a few others, but only with my eyes saw one. corkies i what saw it on.

Kodiak, can i make some cookies or something to entice you to come out and help me?

K
Kodiak
Shadelady said:
well the fish are in, they just arent hungry- go figure. been out there the past few days and seen only one banked- heard about a a few others, but only with my eyes saw one. corkies i what saw it on.

Kodiak, can i make some cookies or something to entice you to come out and help me?

Cookies? You think I can be had by cookies? Well you guessed right lady. I can make it either tues. or wed...just trying to figure out which day...I'll edit this post later and let you know which one i can make it over on.

S
Shadelady
i'll make it a point to be available both days- not working makes it easier. my better half is off weds. so what will it be? my best are chocolate chip, 2nd to oatmeal with cranberries. i make 'em with or without nuts. seriously it is not beneath me to bribe.

A
autofisher
makin my tummy rumble

makin my tummy rumble

Dang! If I knew fishin was the way to get people to bribe me, I'd have started payin attention a long time ago and gotten good. Sounds like a fair trade. A day on the water AND some home made cookies? Are you kidding me?

S
Shadelady
its all about learning and teaching and sharing- Seaseme Street all over again. i CAN do cookies, i want to be able to CATCH... so whoever, whatever help i can get- and i am a firm believer in repaying. so cookies are my thing. LOL!