Salmon River...

S

Shadelady

ok just for info purposes, i went over to the Salmon today for about 2 hours... got my limit of bullhead- again. there were a few and i mean one or 2 fish rolling, but very quiet overall. however, the fishermen are starting to show in strong numbers.

B

Brian Dupree

going to go down this coming weekend. probably hit tidewater first, then maybe work my way up depending on the rain. 101 bridge and the tin building hole always produces once the fish move up. And the hole behind the little store (can't remember the name)If you like crowds! I think they changed it this year, but up high right before the cut off bridge, there is a good deep hole if you don't mind hiking a little. But I'm not sure you can fish up there this year. I will post a report when I get back. Hope to see catch one.

S

Shadelady

Kodiak- we did what we could to follow the treasure map. couldnt sort out where exactly you meant. we went to Red Barn- no one else was there; there was a herd of people at mile marker 9 though. anyhow we saw about 4 serious fish where we were. we tried eggs, corkie, spinners. we were there from about 5pm to 7pm.

gonna try to go get some sandshrimp tomorrow (weather dependant- not going out in gale force) and try try again.

R

rainman

If you had your druthers, would you bank it or fish from a boat ??

S

Shadelady

rainman, if you are offering a boat ride, i would totally accept it.

ok hold the presss-i hooked a fish today, all by myself adn everything. no,, i didn't bank it but hooking and fighting is a whole lot more that i have had going on. fought it for about 3 mins before my knot at the hook gave out. even though i didn't catch, i am happy.

will go out and try again thurs- my better half is "on-call" tomorrow so we can't go far.

whew i am exhausted.

R

rainman

rainman, if you are offering a boat ride, i would totally accept it.

ok hold the presss-i hooked a fish today, all by myself adn everything. no,, i didn't bank it but hooking and fighting is a whole lot more that i have had going on. fought it for about 3 mins before my knot at the hook gave out. even though i didn't catch, i am happy.

will go out and try again thurs- my better half is "on-call" tomorrow so we can't go far.

whew i am exhausted.

I've fished it both from the bank, and from my boat, 1 time each. I was just wondering what others preferences where. I kinda dislike putting my aluminum boat in saltwater, tho i have a few times.

S

Shadelady

Kodiak, i figure i have gotten past one huge hurdle today. i now actually believe i can do it. up til today i figured there was no possible way. i'll be going and clearing the bay of sandshrimp tomorrow. dont forget to hollar when you come out this way!

rainman- although we havve 2 boats neither is outfitted for the river. one is a huge tri hulled 19 deck boat- its too big and rides too heavy. the other is perfect other than not having a reliable motor.

to all thank you all for your posts and support and knowledge sharing. man i feel good today.

H

here2fish

where is the salmon river you guys are talking about? I am only familiar with the one on mt hood.

K

Kodiak

Banned User
west of salem going to lincoln city...slightly larger than EC but toss fall nooks into the coho run:D Some days its on fire, some days you need a pillow. Seems like there is no in between with this one.

W

wormosa

west of salem going to lincoln city...slightly larger than EC but toss fall nooks into the coho run:D Some days its on fire, some days you need a pillow. Seems like there is no in between with this one.
is the salmon on highway 18 as you come into otis?

W

wormosa

good bud.. i want some salmon for the winter....that one i caught earlier was a silver and was a 10 lb'r small small small lol

K

Kodiak

Banned User
i have heard you can keep hatch silvers on the siletz as well, this is the first year of it, supposivly on page 24 of the synopsis

Clipped silvers only. Since there is no hatchery on the siletz the chances are small. Every once in a while I will ding a clipper or two;) on the siletz. My first two chinook on the siletz this year were both clipped, came in on tide headed to the salmon I'm sure. We'll check em for sure!

J

jlayman0270

We were out at hwy. 101 today. One was landed near us. A ton of fish right at the bend. Coho and chinook. We were there at 6:30 and stayed till 10 or so. A couple of guys got hook ups beside the landed fish. We were plunking with corkie and yarn. The Fish caught was on a spinner. About 25 lbs. Fish and game officer witnessed it. He said numbers are moving at Pacific City. We'll be in a boat on Saturday at first light. Will post new info then. BTW we saw guides go below the bribge around the bend and come right back. So prolly nothing down there yet.

Last edited:
S

Shadelady

spent about 4 hours feeding the bullheads yesterday. didn't catch anything other than a bit of sunburn.

Top Bottom