Salmon River Van Duzer Corridor?

K
kayakkid
Is the Van Duzer Corridor of the Salmon river worth spending time fishing? Or would another river be more productive? Any leads on that area would be helpful!

Maybe some info on Drift Creek?

Last edited:
B
BlackBass
Fish it :)

K
kayakkid
I am having a hard time finding flow information.

S
Steelheader4Life
kayakkid said:
I am having a hard time finding flow information.

There is no flow info for that river. Definitely some fish in there. Any coastal river will have natives this time of year. Good Luck!!

B
bcanini
theres fish in there...

theres fish in there...

Definitely worth fishing, and there tends to be a few strays in there also.

B

B
BlackBass
I got this stray up there .

K
kayakkid
when was this? I fished all day yesterday. No fish. I do like the size of the river. It was hard to find any deeper sections. What kind of water would I be looking for? What kind of water are the fish holding in?

Y
youngbuck307
.............. man thats a really hard question!!!!! people write books on where fish hold! and a lot depends on water level and color they like cover lots of times.....

A
autofisher
If you're trying to fish from a boat or a kayak the best you're going to do for deeper water is going to be around the barn hole and not much past that. From the barn hole to the 101 is fishable from a small boat/kayak. There's two or three more deep slots up from that, but you won't be able to get the boat up.

If you're bankin it, there's 101, barn hole, powerline hole, guardrail hole, Rose Lodge Bridge, and the 9 mile hole. Just don't go above the bridge at 9 mile and you'll be good to go. If you don't know where these holes are, shoot me a PM, and I'll do my best to give you some directions.

S
Steelheader4Life
autofisher said:
If you're trying to fish from a boat or a kayak the best you're going to do for deeper water is going to be around the barn hole and not much past that. From the barn hole to the 101 is fishable from a small boat/kayak. There's two or three more deep slots up from that, but you won't be able to get the boat up.

If you're bankin it, there's 101, barn hole, powerline hole, guardrail hole, Rose Lodge Bridge, and the 9 mile hole. Just don't go above the bridge at 9 mile and you'll be good to go. If you don't know where these holes are, shoot me a PM, and I'll do my best to give you some directions.

The best fishing for Steelies in my opinion is above the bridge at mile marker 9. I would fish from the deadline (which is the little bridge a few miles east of the Van Duzer State Park) down to the 24 hole (mile marker 9). I guarantee you'll be the only one there and there will be fish in there.

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Hmmm

Hmmm

Hmmm :think: might just have to take a lil ol trip down the highway and over the hill myself. ;) I have seen some nice fishy water at the big pullout a mile east of the park on the south side.

A
autofisher
Steelheader4Life said:
The best fishing for Steelies in my opinion is above the bridge at mile marker 9. I would fish from the deadline (which is the little bridge a few miles east of the Van Duzer State Park) down to the 24 hole (mile marker 9). I guarantee you'll be the only one there and there will be fish in there.

The only downside to that hole is if you're not paying attention to your rod tip (and by that I mean around the water, not the action) you might actually end up with a fish that'll smack your top eyelet:lol: It's happened before.

Honestly, 9 mile hole and Rose Lodge is where I would start my hunt for fish. They've both got a deep hole and some cover. Watch out for locals and get into some fish.

K
Kenjamin
Hey AUTOFISHER I would really appriciate knowing.. Have you done google map where you can put points of interest on a custom mapquest looking Map :>) say that three times. Just figured it and though what a great Idea. please let me know

B
BlackBass
You dont need to watch out for locals Autofisher but thanks for the confidence in us :) . Locals dont even fish that river for steelhead.

A
autofisher
Kenjamin said:
Hey AUTOFISHER I would really appriciate knowing.. Have you done google map where you can put points of interest on a custom mapquest looking Map :>) say that three times. Just figured it and though what a great Idea. please let me know

There have been other maps on here that people have posted, but I don't think that anyone's done it for the Salmon.

I didn't know I warned about locals. True they don't fish the river for steelhead, but they'll still harass you for your choice to do so. The whole eyelets thing is because I was up at 9 mile fishing and a nook actually came out of the water and almost impaled itself on my top eyelet. One of the weirdest things I've seen while I was fishing.