Salmon River(Lincoln Co.) steelhead

C
Cooper
Anyone fish, or have information on fishing for steelhead from Knight's Tackle Shop and above? Where's the end point for fishing for steelhead and Salmon?

troutdude
troutdude
Found in the reg book under "Exceptions to NW Zone Regulations"...steelhead angling will close on March 31st. I see no mention of any deadline. But it's upper trib's are closed all year round.

Salmon River The following apply to open sections below: *
• Open for wild steelhead (1 per day and 3 per year)and hatchery steelhead Jan 1 - Mar 31 and Aug 1 - Dec 31.
• North Coast Wild Chinook Aggregate Bag Limit applies.

*Mouth to Knight Park boat ramp
• Open for Chinook salmon Aug 1 - Dec 31.

* Knight Park boat ramp to bridge near MP 9 on Hwy 18
• Open for Chinook salmon Aug 1 - Dec 31.
• Gear Restriction: Angling restricted to single point hook metal based lures, fly fishing, or bobber fishing Sep 1 - Dec 31
See Salmon/Steelhead Bobber Fishing Rule pg 18.

* Bridge near MP 9 on Hwy 18 to confluence with Sulphur Cr west of the Van Duzer Corridor
• Open for wild steelhead (1 per day and 3 per year) and hatchery steelhead Jan 1 - Mar 31 and Dec 1-31.
• Closed to salmon angling.

Last edited:
Reactions: Raincatcher
C
Cooper
This confirms, as I thought, the bridge by Knight's tackle shop is the dead line for salmon and I can work my way down from there. What is the metal based lure and compared to what is attached bellow the bobber?

P
pinstriper
Spoons, spinners, etc. with the treble hook removed and replaced with a single would be a single point hook metal based lure.

B
Bob Smith
What about angling for coastal cutthroat? I'm a little confused about whether or not I can fish for them (catch and release) and where on the Salmon River. I know that trout season opens May 22.

troutdude
troutdude
There are no exception reg's, for the Salmon River, so the NW Zone reg's apply. Which means that, apparently, the entire river is open for trout from May 22-Oct. 31. And it is restricted to artificial flies and lures. No bait (which also means no Berklely products, or plastics, etc too).

Reactions: Cooper
P
pinstriper
There are no exceptions listed for that river that apply to trout, so the NW region rules apply. Open in May, not before.

If it were permissible to fish C&R, it would say “Open all year for trout. Harvest allowed May 22 - Oct 31, 2 per day” or something similar. The quote is an example from Gales Creek in the Willamette zone.

Reactions: troutdude
B
Bob Smith
Awesome - thanks troutdude and pinstriper!

Fishnbuck
Fishnbuck
Cooper said:
This confirms, as I thought, the bridge by Knight's tackle shop is the dead line for salmon and I can work my way down from there. What is the metal based lure and compared to what is attached bellow the bobber?
You did see that Chinook is Aug 1 - Dec 31, right?

Reactions: Cooper
brandon4455
brandon4455
The deadline for salmon is the bridge near milepost 9 (not visible from the road) it is currently closed to salmon angling.
The steelhead deadline (sulphur creek) is a big culvert about quarter/half mile upstream of the salmon deadline.

the anti snagging regulations are currently not in effect that is only for fall salmon season.
Your best bet is low down on the river since we haven’t had any rain,l. Good luck