salmon river fly fishing report

brandon4455
brandon4455
so this morning a surpise,my neighbor was going to do some tattoo work in otis and i said, can i have a ride to the river? he said sure just be careful so your parentas dont kill me. so we arrived around 8. i rigged my brand new 8wt and hiked in as he left. got to the river and the color looked great, was still on the high side but loked great,, i had tied on a red glo bug under a thingamabobber and waded in. i started to cast and it was smooth. not to difficult besides the little bit of wind, by the 10th cast i had nothing at all so i moved up below where the salmon usually spawn hoping to coax a steelhead into eating my egg imitation. i casted next to a log upriver from me that had some slow water. right before trying to mend my line,,FISH ON!! my first fish hooked by myself on a fly rod. it was a cutthroat around 12 inches pretty little thing and the fight was awesome fish feel about twice the size that they really are with a fly rod, but as soon as i go to take a picture of it next to my fly rod i realized the camera would not turn on... I FORGOT THE BATTERIES!!! i was pretty mad because i never really get pictures and the time i wanted tyo take one it didn't work :/ so i kept going upriver working tailouts missing the majority of the strikes.. i ended up with two more decent sized cutthroat all 3 on a small red glo bug. i lost all my tackle right before i had to leave so it was fine (tree fish HAHAHA) . it was fun for having limited rescources only 3 red glo bugs and i brought an extra leader/strike indicator . i'm hooked on fly fishing!!!! this gets me even more excited for after christmas when i get more flies next time ill have my mentor with me to show me some techniques :D i want to thank the people who helped suggest the right gear to get me started out. and a big thanks to bigsteel who is going to be my mentor

Last edited:
M
markasd
fun times

fun times

:clap:

Awesome! Love that little river.... I've had some great days on it for winters too.

You ever do any swingin' flies? Talk about an exciting take...

Good luck out there.
mark

brandon4455
brandon4455
markasd said:
:clap:

Awesome! Love that little river.... I've had some great days on it for winters too.

You ever do any swingin' flies? Talk about an exciting take...

Good luck out there.
mark

i will be eventually this was my first time,, ill start out with nymphing and stuff then ill start swingin' never caught a winter there but hooked em on spinners before it's a great native fishery

brandon

B
bigsteel
hey way to go bro,you are now gonna be hooked on flies for life.i will always remember the first fish i caught on the fly rod.santiam at greens bridge.so how did you like casting the rod?

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
hey way to go bro,you are now gonna be hooked on flies for life.i will always remember the first fish i caught on the fly rod.santiam at greens bridge.so how did you like casting the rod?

it was fun,a great learning experience i got okay at getting that loop on the back cast i could cast pretty far suprizingly ill need some more practice but im just glad i can cast okay id like to guess how far i was able to cast but im not surewhen i hooked the first fish my rod was bent over and i was like,, wtf this is a little trout why does it feel like a big fish? hahaha i can't wait till we hit the water again somthing about that fly rod makes my fish fever 10X worse..

Last edited:
B
bigsteel
we will get out soon,ill show ya the roll cast and stack mending and double fly setups.we might have to get you over on the deschutes then you can see that rod with a 20 incher slammin down!!!!!!!!!!!

brandon4455
brandon4455
bigsteel said:
we will get out soon,ill show ya the roll cast and stack mending and double fly setups.we might have to get you over on the deschutes then you can see that rod with a 20 incher slammin down!!!!!!!!!!!

sweet!! this will be very fun always ready to learn new stuff, id love to fish the bid d always wanted to since i was a wee little guy, i can just imagine that 20incher slamming my fly!!! you got me to excited Lol