Salmon River 9/26/2010

G
GerbilManBoa
I went fishing with some friends for fall chinook on the salmon river.

We started around 12:55 PM at the hatchery, also know as "The Rapids".

We fished till about 2:20 PM at the hatchery and only caught two 9" rainbows.

So we headed to a place on the river called the "Blackberry Hole", you have to go through a lot of blackberry bushes, hence the name "blackberry hole".

We arrived there about 2:27, and got to the bank of the river around 2:38.

We were using orange corkies & size 6 Salmon egg hook.

As we walked into the water we cast our line. I a few minutes we were ALL hooked up! I ended up catching a 40 pound chinook! It was so fresh out of the ocean it still had sea lice on it! One of my friends caught a 18 pound female. My other friend lost his. There were a whole bunch of other people there and they were catching catching salmon right & left! On person caught a 43 pound male chum salmon!

B
beaverfan
Very interesting, if a guy to your left caught a 43lb chum it was almost twice the state record of 23lbs.

H
halibuthitman
and 8 more lbs than the I.G.F.A world record-

B
Bad Tuna
halibuthitman said:
and 8 more lbs than the I.G.F.A world record-

You guys have all been fishing long enough to know that all salmon caught are 40lbs, and all steelhead are 20lbs. Lol

H
halibuthitman
Bad Tuna said:
You guys have all been fishing long enough to know that all salmon caught are 40lbs, and all steelhead are 20lbs. Lol
most of my steelhead are more around 30... but I don't have $16 for a digital camera from wal-mart so you got to take my word for it... but the one in my avatar pic weighed 114 lbs... gutted

brandon4455
brandon4455
although a big chinook in that river is believeable (myuncle caught a 51lber there i got one that was 30) there are no chums in the salmon moron :lol: tell you what, meet me at the "the blackberry hole..bryer patch whatever you prefer to call it. and if you catch a chum i will give you an apology LOL

Last edited:
B
Bad Tuna
brandon4455 said:
although a big chinook in that river is believeable (myuncle caught a 51lber there i got one that was 30) there are no chums in the salmon moron :lol: tell you what, meet me at the "the blackberry hole..bryer patch whatever you prefer to call it. and if you catch a chum i will give you an apology LOL

There are actually two runs of Chums in the salmon river. One comes in early August, along with a few sockeyes, and some pinks, every other year. The later run come in late October -November anf goes up Bear creek. There are also a lot of stray summer steelhead from the Siletz. I know this, because I used to job shadow at the salmon river hatchery when Lyle was still the manager. He pointed it out to me, and he was right. Ive seen them with my own eyes and caught a few. Most coastal rivers get other species of salmon early, the populations are small, and can no longer be kept, but they are there.

brandon4455
brandon4455
im pretty sure i would have seen one ... ive been fishing that river for around 6 or so years and have never heard anything of chum salmon. i use to chat with a lot of the hatchery peeps infact. eventhough your post is a legit one i can't really believe that unless i see it.. dosen't seem right to me

Last edited:
B
beaverfan
brandon4455 said:
im pretty sure i would have seen one ... ive been fishing that river for around 6 or so years and have never heard anything of chum salmon. i use to chat with a lot of the hatchery peeps infact. eventhough your post is a legit one i can't really believe that unless i see it.. dosen't seem right to me

Ummm Brandon, you might want to read this.

http://www.dfw.state.or.us/fish/ONFSR/docs/final/04-chum/chum-summary.pdf

brandon4455
brandon4455
well mill be damned. i just got my ass proven wrong... i think i owe you an apology bad tuna..thats really cool i just learned somthing new. i wonder why ive never seen one caught though.. :p

B
Bad Tuna
Ive been fishing it for about 30 years. There are chums on the Siletz, Nestucca, Big Creek, Sandy, most of the lower Columbia basin. The Coquille and Millicoma also have chums. Google it! I also have a pic somewhere of a pink swimming under the logger bridge on the Kilchis. Most of those pinks and sockeyes are early August fish, when only people chasing crawdads and a few sea run cutthroat are present.

Historically, chum salmon were distributed throughout the coastal regions of western
Canada and the United States, as far south as Monterey Bay, California.
http://www.nwfsc.noaa.gov/assets/25/4235_06172004_120642_chum.pdf

Last edited:
brandon4455
brandon4455
i knew chums use to be somewhat abundant but i thought they were extinct in every river exept the miami and kilchis id like to see one of these and sockeyes eventually to take a picture of.. maybe this summer when im fishing for cutthroat.

B
Bad Tuna
brandon4455 said:
well mill be damned. i just got my ass proven wrong... i think i owe you an apology bad tuna..thats really cool i just learned somthing new. i wonder why ive never seen one caught though.. :p

You dont owe me an apology, you owe the OP an apology, afterall, you did call him a moron!..lol Not exactly friendly. lol

G
GerbilManBoa
The 43 pound chum salmon was just the guys estimate. I thought it was mid to upper 20's. I decided to say his estimate instead of mine, just to be kind.