Salmon Regulations?

T
Thuggin4Life
What is the current regulations for salmon fishing on the mckenzie and willamette rivers? Last year we couldn't fish at all and i can't find the legalitiies of this years run.

J
JeannaJigs
The mac is restricted to artificial lures and flies until 04/25/09. So far I have not heard that they have closed the fishery yet for chinook salmon, but I doubt it's going to be healthy enough to maintain retention of fish this year, same as last year. Until further notice however, The McKenzie below leaburg is open to the retention of Adipose fin-clipped Chinook salmon from Jan 1-Aug 15th. They reprint changes to the Willamette system regarding Chinook in May, so keep your eyes open for that come may.

T
Thuggin4Life
i have the book on fishing regs i was looking for any special restrictions this year. i heard something about weekends only. thanks for the info jeanna

J
JeannaJigs
You're welcome. Just pay attention when they release reg changes in may. There's no Chinook in there at this point anyways, but they start coming in may-june

K
Kodiak
Fish now!!!

Fish now!!!

134 fish over the falls at last I looked. It is alittle behind but not out of the question. They won't announce weather or not they will let us fish until they know we have all bought our tags first, then they close it. until ODFW comes out and says so its two a day with the third a clipped steelie. They can't close it and not tell people. I heard they expect 32,000 over the falls, which may keep it open, but who knows what those yahoos are gonna do.

Just a time frame comparison using 4/15 as a measuring stick
'08...78
'07...450
'06...134 (12th)

If things hold up I expect to see a decent surge over the falls when the water reaches 54 degrees (ocean temp). Also the numbers so far are also spot on for this time in '06. I don't see a need to worry till the middle of may, and considering they are running three weeks late (the summer steelies are exactly 3 weeks to the minute from what I am told by the hatchery guys) we might be catching chromers well into late july.

Last edited:
T
Thuggin4Life
Thats good to know but i was talking about salmon regs.

Y
yellowjacket
Siuslaw Chinook

Siuslaw Chinook

JeannaJigs said:
You're welcome. Just pay attention when they release reg changes in may. There's no Chinook in there at this point anyways, but they start coming in may-june

Hey JJ what do you know about the Siuslaw for Chinook. Talked with a guy who lives on Nelson Mtn at the Whittaker trap & he told me it is a pretty good run. Said one year they got 200 in the trap in one day. I hear lake creek more often though when asking about that area.

Next best thing to a fish on the line is one sizzling in the skillet! ;)

Thanks YJ.

T
Thuggin4Life
yellowjacket said:
Hey JJ what do you know about the Siuslaw for Chinook. Talked with a guy who lives on Nelson Mtn at the Whittaker trap & he told me it is a pretty good run. Said one year they got 200 in the trap in one day. I hear lake creek more often though when asking about that area.

Next best thing to a fish on the line is one sizzling in the skillet! ;)

Thanks YJ.

I hear a lot of good things about lake creek. Try walking across try train bridge to a hole they call the forks.

J
JeannaJigs
I know a bit about the siuslaw and lake creek, that's the tributary I fish the most. The siuslaw is a fall show for salmon and a winter show for steel. This year they closed lake creek for salmon because it's so easy for poaching (snaggers). They're ruining it for the rest of us. So the siuslaw was open for chinook below the confluence of lake creek. It's a pretty good run usually, but it's been up and down each year as everywhere else in the state. The chinook really start showing up in August and September, and I've caught chrome bright fish with sea lice christmas day up lake creek.

Reactions: Bfishin