Salmon poisoning

A

Anyfishisfine

Monday when I was prepping my steelhead for the smoker my dog managed to steal a piece from the rack off the table. Last night he started getting pretty bad diarrhea.

I may be paranoid, but it could kill him if that's what it is. I'm thinking I'll keep a close eye on him and if it doesn't get better, take him to the vet tomorrow.

Does anyone have experience with this?

O

Outdoor_Myers

Monday when I was prepping my steelhead for the smoker my dog managed to steal a piece from the rack off the table. Last night he started getting pretty bad diarrhea.

I may be paranoid, but it could kill him if that's what it is. I'm thinking I'll keep a close eye on him and if it doesn't get better, take him to the vet tomorrow.

Does anyone have experience with this?

Take him to the VET!

troutdude

troutdude

I've not had any experience, but have heard it is very bad for dogs.

I encourage you to at least call a vet, and get a professional opinion.

H

halibuthitman

if you feel like giving money away to a vet go ahead, almost all foodborn illness, human and animal related come on almost immediatly, If I had a dollar for everytime I had a dog with the runs, or crappin garbage or throwin up I would have probably around $67 bucks. Dogs get the runs, could be from the fish, but not life threatening, unless its still a puppy, but if he's had all his shots and is acting relatively normal I wouldn't worry until more than one symptom occurs, i.e runs/vomit runs/lethargy... yada yada yada, but I know how much love you can have for a dog... so you should probably do whatever it is your heart is telling you to do... good luck:pray:

A

Anyfishisfine

I went ahead and took him in. No salmon poisoning, but it turned out to be Giardia.

They gave me some medicine that should clear it up in a few days.

B

beaverfan

Well that's good to hear, glad he's gonna be ok. I think I remember reading somewhere that they get the salmon poisoning from the guts of the fish. Not sure how accurate that is.

L

livin2fish

Well that's good to hear, glad he's gonna be ok. I think I remember reading somewhere that they get the salmon poisoning from the guts of the fish. Not sure how accurate that is.
It's in the blood and from what I understand theres nothing the vets can do if they do get it. What did they tell you about your bestest friend anyfish?

FISHON

A

Anyfishisfine

It's in the blood and from what I understand theres nothing the vets can do if they do get it. What did they tell you about your bestest friend anyfish?

FISHON

It ended up being something else and they gave me meds to clear it up. I think he is going to be fine, but no fishing until he doesn't need to poop every 20 minutes.