Salmon jigs

F
fish_4_all
I hear more and more about salmon jigs. Does anyone have pictures of what they are using and the sizes? I have thought about trying jigs locally in Marine/tidal water as well as in the rivers and really want to see what works.

B
BobberDown
well they do work well i can tell yo that for sure i have killed abot 17 springs ovr the last few year on my jigs i am going to be bring my chinnook jigs on the market over the next month or so but if you go on my web site and look at the hackle tial jigs that i a lot of what i use but on 3/8 an 1/4 OZ heads
or i like to use the pin head jigs to and i dow th hackle tail jigs with big barbells to and a lot of palmerd marabou i will try to tie up some chinook jigs i am going to make a a page with just chinook jigs and another page with coho jigs as well good luck Dan

F
fish_4_all
Well I have been messing around with a few ideas but I still need Coho jig ideas. I wish we had a season for Chinook here but I doubt it this year or next. All Cohos for a while.

I am thinking a silver body jig with a pink head and white marabou. Or maybe a metallic multi color thread body with a PP metal flake head and white marabou tail.

Anyone have ideas for other color combos for Coho?

M
Mike123
I bought all of the First Bite salmon jigs...
I know that fall chinook LOVE EGGS! :D
I went to a hole that I knew there were lots of chinook in and fished eggs for a few casts.. ended up landing a few chinook. Then I tied on a salmon jig...
No bites... Put eggs back on BOOM fish on...
Maybe they will work better for Springers.... I have caught a few chinook on jigs but it was in their darker stage toward spawning..

I guess if your out of EGGS use jigs. ;)

F
fish_4_all
Cohos man, Cohos! I doubt I will see a Chinook season here for a good 2 years. If I want to catch Chinook I will pull out my streamer flies and fight them all day long.

I need jig ideas for Coho because everyone is switching to them up here and I want the scoop because no one knows what they are doing up here. :lol:

Maybe I can incorporate my streamer fly into a jig pattern for Coho. Only thing I have to change if I do get a Chinook season is the body color so maybe that will be the easiest way to go.

Also, does anyone jig fish in tidal or salt water with any success? Again, for Coho.

M
Mike123
fish_4_all said:
Cohos man, Cohos! I doubt I will see a Chinook season here for a good 2 years. If I want to catch Chinook I will pull out my streamer flies and fight them all day long.

I need jig ideas for Coho because everyone is switching to them up here and I want the scoop because no one knows what they are doing up here. :lol:

Maybe I can incorporate my streamer fly into a jig pattern for Coho. Only thing I have to change if I do get a Chinook season is the body color so maybe that will be the easiest way to go.

Also, does anyone jig fish in tidal or salt water with any success? Again, for Coho.

Ah.. sorry man... :cool:

Are you talking bobber and jig(drifting jigs) or straight up jigging them?

F
fish_4_all
Mike123 said:
Ah.. sorry man... :cool:

Are you talking bobber and jig(drifting jigs) or straight up jigging them?

I don't really need one for bottom fishing but would still be nice when I can't fish my streamer right. So really both would be nice because there are times I am standing over the top of the fish so vertical jigging would work to.