Salmon in the Nehalem

F
Fishydog
Going to hit the bay this weekend for some crabbing and I hear there are Coho, Chinook, and Steelhead. Any tips on how and what to use, I was going to do some mooching with hearing but if anyone has better ways to target these fish I would love to hear them. Thanks, Doug

A
ArcticAmoeba
Troll spinners, or my favorite. Sidedrift. There should be some sea licey Coho, and some big Chinook, but the Steelhead on the Nehalem I have heard is not what it is suppposed to be yet, I think they do get a big winter push, but that won't happen for another 6 weeks or so. Besides try to target Coho, they cut better than any other Salmon fresh from the Ocean. Do try herring, or Smelt as well, but if you aren't hooking up, they are not interested in what is swimming. Good luck in the tidewater, and post back so we know how the Nehalem was that day.

Irishrover
Irishrover
If you are going to fish the area by the jetty, herring on the incoming tide is a good bet. If you have fished that are before you'll know to stay away from the north jetty , the north side is real shollow with a lot of breaking water.

Up river by the 101 bridge and near the town of Nehalem is a good place to troll spinners and plug cut herring. I once hooked a good size chinook on of all things an "alvin". I usually use alvins when I anchor in the Columbia, but I wasn't having any luck so I was going to try anything. I used a spreader and put on the alvin and bang the chase was on. Havn't hook one up there again on the alvin yet. The other benefit of fishing that area by the town is the ability to dock and walk in to one of the resturants for a nice tasty cheese burger!;) Irishrover

Troutski
Troutski
Welcome Fishydog

Welcome Fishydog

Welcome to OFF....nice to have you on board. You picked a great site for Salmon fishing...these guy's are true Salmon slayers, if you have a question they have an answer..again welcome to the site.

Chuck

F
Fishydog
Depth Charts

Depth Charts

Thanks everyone:D, I was wondering if anyone has charts on Nehalem, or does anyone know what the max depth is in the bay:think:. Thanks, Doug.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Sounding in feet

Sounding in feet

I use the NOAA navigation charts. The one for Nehalem has the soundings in feet the max dept I find is 28 feet right near crab rock at mean low tide. That is missleading though. Most of the bay that is navigatable is only 7 to 10 feet at mean low tide. If you have not been there before I'd pick up a chart or look one up online. It is a real shalllow bay and if they have pulled the navigation bouyes it can be tough. If you don't go up river fron the State Park boat ramp it will be somewhat easier. At the jaws it can get breakers all across the mouth. Talk to the folks at the jetty marina or the Brighton marina. Good luck and be safe. Irishrover

Last edited: