Salmon in Haystack reservoir?

F
FishFinger
HaHa madest thou look...

OK, kidding aside...

What about salmon sized trout...

Woot woot

PB (Personal Biggest) brooder trout, weighting in at 11 lbs (undressed)

Yes 11 lbs!

Even crazier it broke the surface to bite this...

Yes "baby on a blanket"

No, that's not true...

I long lined a F7 silver Rapala and hooked her on the first pass of the day.

Last edited by a moderator:
T
Throbbit _Shane
Nice one! Did you ever make it to Suttle for the browns?

S
seekanddestory
Nice looks like y.ll had a great day of fishing

T
TimberTodd
Wow that's a beast of a trout. If only it had been caught on the infamous baby on a blanket lure. congrats on a great catch.

F
FishFinger
Boy oh boy, on the heals of an epic start to my 2014 season; I got the
stink eye on me now. My wife made it clear, "had I taken her, that would have been her fish." And she's probably right.

I've been put on notice, she will be doing the rest of the catching this year, because I used up all my luck in one day.

She's the sweetest thing on earth, just a touch competitive and straight to the point. Truth is were caring for her parents and she couldn't go. I get my fishing buddy back this fall when her sister takes them for 1/2 of the year. Till then she let's me go with a smile and a jab if I come home, empty handed.

Last edited:
B
brewer
That is one large trout. And kudos on taking care of your wife's parents. That has to be some good karma for you.

troutdude
troutdude
Well done Jedi Master! Nice looking 2-year hold-over!!! The force was with you!

P.S. Big fish eat little fish (i.e. baby in a blanket lure...er...um...I mean...Rapala).

F
FishFinger
TD you know we were speculating on it's age while at the launch. The camp host reports several in the 6 to 7 lb range, mostly on Rapalas.

M
mikeee2362
Wow!! Awesome HAWG of a fish!! (and I actually bit on the "baby on a blanket" for a second) Madest me look twice!

S
steelhead_slayer
Ha ha nice fish! Congrats. Glad your are getting into the big ones over here already

troutdude
troutdude
FishFinger said:
TD you know we were speculating on it's age while at the launch. The camp host reports several in the 6 to 7 lb range, mostly on Rapalas.

Last year, Sherry at the Lake Stop Grocery (near Hagg Lake) showed me how to tell the age of hold-overs. She, in turn, was taught by an ODFW biologist. Just hold the fish up against the sunlight, or other bright light. Then, look at the edge of the tail fin. There will be a "band", of a different coloration, for each year it has been "holding-over" in the lake. It's akin to counting the rings of a cut tree, to count each year of age.

Irishrover
Irishrover
Good job there must be a few more out there with your name on them. I sure miss being out in that area of the state. When it starts to warm up and Haystack slows down you might want to check out Antelope Flats Reservior. It's up in the Maury Mts off hwy 380 out of Post. There are some nice rainbow in there too.

F
FishFinger
Throbbit _Shane said:
Nice one! Did you ever make it to Suttle for the browns?

The weather look promising for a venture to Suttle on Tues.