salmon fly hatch

F
flytrekker1007
So obviously the only people who will know when the hatch is close are the people on the river everyday next month. I'm going to go May 13th-15th. Not to sure where I'm going to go yet. Where do you prefer? Upper, Middle, Or the lower(mouth) of the deschutes? And what is you favorite fly for the hatch?

B
bigsteel
i prefer the lower,and my choice of fly for the hatch would be a peacock stimulator,or clarks stonefly

F
flytrekker1007
does the hatch start lower and move up river toward bend?

B
bigsteel
it all depends like last year they are still messing around with the flows so the hatch will probably be earlier this year just like last

E
eggs
hatch time should be the same as last year from here on out... as for timing it is all about water temp.. lower river will warm sooner then upper.. water out of a dam is warmer then water from a frozen lake and springs

F
flytrekker1007
Sounds good. What flies do you like for the hatch? Im going to head over to just above Harpham on the big D.

M
mlw
Kaufmann's Stonefly Nymph :)
Michael

S
steelhead_slayer
i use a fly pasted down through my wife's family, but stimulator work good. i find a lot in brush that have worked for me. lower is the place i prefer to fish. there are bigger fish and a lot more bugs. i do fish the middle also though. it is a good chance to catch a lot of fish close to home

Irishrover
Irishrover
In a normal year with normal weather the bugs do start lower on the river and the hatch works it's way up river. I like the stimulator, improved sofa pillow and the Bill Howland special and just about anything orange with elk hair. Mid may should be a good bet. I like anywhere from Maupin to Warm Springs just watch out for that darn poison oak. It's a bad thing to get into and there is lots of it especially at South Junction.

Last edited:
G
GDBrown
Irishrover said:
.............just watch out for that darn poison oak. It's a bad thing to get into and there is lots of it especially at South Junction.

Isn't that the Oregon State Shrub? I tell all my out of state visitors to pick some and take it home with them! LOL I've had to stop two of them just in time.......

Yes, they are still my friends.

J
jimmy
it's time. . .

water's high, keep close to the bank, watch for the rises.

I'll be around warmsprings this weekend.
good luck all. . .

jimmy--
campjimmy.jpg

G
GDBrown
You may see a bunch of us camping at Trout Creek this weekend. I'm headed over on Tuesday or Wednesday for a little lake fishing first.

G
GDBrown
I'm a couple days later than I expected. Trailer was not up to snuff and I had to find a new one. I just got to Madras this evening. I stopped at the boat launch at Warm Springs and checked the water and the grass for bugs. HUNDREDS of Salmon flies per clump of grass crawling all over. I hope they start flight this weedend! The water looks high and a bite faster than I expected but that's OK because that means the rocks are that much farther under water!

GD