Salmon fishing on the Siuslaw, or the Umpqua ?

K
kwikfisher
Want to go out this week...

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
I have not heard anything yet about the Siuslaw salmon fishing; last I heard crabbing was still slow here this year.

K
kwikfisher
Have you fished out of Reedsport or Winchester bay?

jamisonace
jamisonace
Was good a couple weeks ago but last I heard the cold water slowed everything down. I fished it two weekends ago and it was decent. We had two on that didn't make it to the boat. Crabbing has been good. Limits are common if you work for them.

I fished the Coos two evenings and one morning last week and it was really slow. Lots of guides moved from the Umpqua to the Coos and we only saw one fish caught. We marked a few but never got a bite.

This week the ocean looks calm so I'm going to try again Wed evening and Thursday morning. Hoping it turns on. This time last year I was catching fish every time I fished it.

K
kwikfisher
Well that sounds like it's worth exploring...Thanks!

rogerdodger
rogerdodger
keep in mind that the Siuslaw basin is under very limited retention this year. No wild coho can be retained and each angler is allowed only 1 adult wild chinook for the entire fall season (Aug.1 to Dec.31).

"no more than one (1) adult wild Chinook Salmon may be harvested from the Siuslaw River or the North Fork Siuslaw River for the period."

https://myodfw.com/recreation-report/fishing-report/northwest-zone

K
kwikfisher
Thanks for the information Roger

jamisonace
jamisonace
Coos Bay sucks. They are dredging and there is a ton of crap in the water. Can't keep gear clean for more than a few minutes. Water is very dirty if you're on the wrong side of the dredge. Marked very few fish.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Fished the Umpqua this last weekend 4 rods three days and never had a take down. I saw 3 fish being fought nothing landed I heard of a few caught but never seen one. The grass was worse than I have seen. I would like the ocean to lay down and go run some riggers on the the bottom looking for some hungry Kings.

jamisonace
jamisonace
Duckcross said:
Fished the Umpqua this last weekend 4 rods three days and never had a take down. I saw 3 fish being fought nothing landed I heard of a few caught but never seen one. The grass was worse than I have seen. I would like the ocean to lay down and go run some riggers on the the bottom looking for some hungry Kings.
Took my boss on his annual bass float and saw a dead salmon upriver. Water is probably 80+ degrees. We need a cold spell with lots of rain, wind to stop and the dredges to move on. Is that too much to ask?! As long as I'm putting in requests, I'll take about 10,000 biters to move into the lower bays.

Bo Peep
Bo Peep
We found one this weekend on the Umpqua saw 1 other caught very slow fishing. But this was my cousins first ever salmon and she had blast made it all worth it.

IMG_1662.jpg

Reactions: rogerdodger, PhoFish and jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
I gave up on the Umpqua. Found this one on the Coos.

Reactions: Aervax and C_Run