Salmon fishing help

madasahab
madasahab
I use to fish for salmon on the upper Rogue and the technique I used was basically the Alaskan style of "lining" the fish in the mouth. I know on coastal rivers that bait and lures are effective. What techniques are good for inland rivers? I was always told that salmon too far from the ocean just don't "bite". Anyway, I just want to clarify that I am def not into snagging fish. The hole I use to fish on the Rogue was just such that you could line the fish...

T
Throbbit _Shane
The Springers bite on the upper rogue! Everyone just flosses/snags at the hatchery and other holes too. Drift boats also rip the holes too. Quite disturbing. But iv noticed the the salmon dont like to bite near as much as steelhead do. We've got them on eggs, either back bouncing or on a diver. And wrapped plugs work too.

I havent bank fished for salmon yet. But im sure bobber and eggs would work good!

madasahab
madasahab
I personally don't have a problem with lining a fish having lived in Alaska and fished for reds...However, I do want to learn what works from the bank in Oregon...I don't keep foul hooked fish...(fish not hooked in the mouth)...So bobber and bait? I'll give it a try...

R
RunWithSasquatch
Bobber and bait is the most notorious salmon attack, the spring chinook that people chase now arent as willing as there fall counter-part, but they do love to take a gulp of eggs and shrimp alike. Drifting baits on the bottom, in the fashion you describe as "lining", with a modest leader will also get strikes. Plugs, and spinners also get bit.

Its all application.

madasahab
madasahab
Thanks squatch, I'll give it a try...

M
Mad dog
Store bought frozen prawn tails work well drift fished behind corkies or beads. Try dying them pink, if they are the larger size cut them into smaller baits....we have been slamming springers with them this year! Also drop your leader, hook and bait size down if the springers are finicky....trust me....they bite every bit as well as steelhead do! The problem is that if you are fishing around idiots that are just lining them they probably won't bite regardless of what you throw at them! Nothing puts a salmon off the bite quicker than some idiot ripping his rig past it every cast!

H
halibuthitman
Mad dog said:
Store bought frozen prawn tails work well drift fished behind corkies or beads. Try dying them pink, if they are the larger size cut them into smaller baits....we have been slamming springers with them this year! Also drop your leader, hook and bait size down if the springers are finicky....trust me....they bite every bit as well as steelhead do! The problem is that if you are fishing around idiots that are just lining them they probably won't bite regardless of what you throw at them! Nothing puts a salmon off the bite quicker than some idiot ripping his rig past it every cast!
amen

madasahab
madasahab
Thanks Mad Dog, yeah I'm not into lining unless it's reds in Alaska...I prefer a biting fish...good to hear about the prawns, they kill kings in Alaska!!!