Salmon Eggs

B

bir48die

What do you guys think of the eggs that are sold at Joe's or Fisherman's in the clear tub and lid? Is there any reason to further cure? Where can you buy the best eggs? I caught all bucks this fall and did not have any to cure.

Thanks to whoever responds.

F

fish_4_all

When I am really in desperate need of eggs I buy them from the native americans when thye are gill netting. I have seen some decent eggs in the tubs that are cured but make sure they have a good solid texture to them. An egg that will withstand a light pressure without mushing is a good indicator. More of if you can feel that they egg feels like an egg than pressure I guess, is hard to explain.

A

ArcticAmoeba

Hate to say it, but when in desperation, the Netters always come through. It sucks that the quality of the eggs they harvest is so good, as the fish it came from was probably high quality, sportsmans table fare. At least when you buy them, they are relatively inexpensive, and you know those eggs will produce more eggs, that will in turn, produce more, and more. The egg cycle.

F

Fishydog

And where would one find the Native Americans selling eggs?
Inquiring fishy minds want to know.

F

FishSchooler

Don't get the eggs in the clear tubs from joes ("guide's choice") because they just turn into a smelly red gel and they dont stay on the hook. I dont know about the huge jars that have tons of eggs if they are good or not, but I am thinking of using single salmon eggs (mainly used for trout) and wrap em together with a mesh if I dont have time to go somewhere else.

C

chunk_style

Does anyone use pautzkes eggs tied up in mesh for steelhead or salmon? Does it work at all? I imagine roe is better, just wondering if anyone uses both or one over the other.

F

Fishtopher

And where would one find the Native Americans selling eggs?
Inquiring fishy minds want to know.

I think Cascade Locks would be the closest to town here. Probably wouldnt be to hard to find the Nate's sellin' their pull. Fish and eggs alike. Dont know fer sure though.

F

fish_4_all

I wouldn't use pautzkes for spawn sacks. I make my own single eggs out of salmon eggs and they work better and a lot cheaper.

E

EastCountyRookie

ProGlow

ProGlow

What do you guys think of ProGlo cure for eggs. I used to use them a lot in the past years but ever since Amermans came out I have't found a better cure.

B

bigdog

I think Cascade Locks would be the closest to town here. Probably wouldnt be to hard to find the Nate's sellin' their pull. Fish and eggs alike. Dont know fer sure though.
I'm not sure about now but when the salmon runs were in you could find them on division about 119 next to the smoke store every weekend

L

luv2fish

trye big dog...they use to come during run times on weekends..but they werenot the best kind of eggs...i foind some good eggs from the native americans at cascade locks....

pro-cure....my freind says he will rather use cheese then pro-cure....shure cure is the one he uses and i always fished with him ...and never i saw him not getting fish ( provided there are fish in the water)....its hard to find shure cure...but some places at coast might have...it disappears pretty fast from shelves...and i never saw it in joe's or fisherman's....i wonder why....o well i know now..thye are not used to sell quality products....lol...:lol:

Top Bottom