Salmon egg spawn sack

C
craigatkins
could someone tell me the best way to use a salmon egg spawn sack. Do I make the sack, then actually thread it onto the hook or do I use the loop hook setup and try and attach the sack in the loop? I am new to this and now live close to the Wallowa river, Grand Ronde etc. and want to try my luck at some bobber fishing. Any advice would be welcomed. Thanks, Craig.

M
Mike123
I make mine with Magic thread.
I thread the hook(size #6-#2) into the end where the sac is tied together with my bait loop open.. then I cinch the bait loop around the little tiny bit of excess net material where it's tied together.

If your drift fishing them... put a puff ball or two in the sack.
If your float fishing them you may or may not want to so they will sink.

C
craigatkins
thanks Mike. I plan on floating it under a bobber, I already made up 10 bags but I will keep the puff balls in mind for the next batch. I guess now all I need to know is what is a puff ball? I kind of inherited a bunch of steelhead stuff and as thourough as this collection of stuff is I am sure I already have some if I knew what to look for. I got my one and only steelhead about a month ago on the Wallowa river while spin casting a black rooster tail for trout so now I am eager to step up to the next level and start to take advantage of the great opportunity I have here in Northeast Oregon.

L
lilsalmon
I have a question..when i lived in Michigan we used to make up our eggs in a fine net so it was easier keeping it on the hook...do you know anything like that. It helps with the frustration of keeping them on...also what are the hooks called with the loops to hold the sacks on....I am still learning....I was thinking they were called simply a bait loop hook.....hehe..

J
JeannaJigs
lilsalmon said:
I have a question..when i lived in Michigan we used to make up our eggs in a fine net so it was easier keeping it on the hook...do you know anything like that. It helps with the frustration of keeping them on...also what are the hooks called with the loops to hold the sacks on....I am still learning....I was thinking they were called simply a bait loop hook.....hehe..

That's what a spawn sack is :) I tie my hooks with what is called a bait loop, and that holds the spawn sack or bait of choice in place. I don't buy them, but I think you can buy them pre-tied.

I just use a much smaller bait loop if i'm running spawn sacks, so that it will snugly hold the small amount of material above my magic thread....if that makes sense at all.

F
fish_4_all
I actually make little sacks out of my spawn sack with either a lighter or a vacuum sealer. Melting the edges of the sacks in the size I want to make a pouch and then tying in some magic thread to sinch it off after I put the eggs/bait in them. I have been trying to find a glue that would work with no luck so far.

Last edited:
L
lilsalmon
thank you....so much to learn......got my oregon reg book taken out of my car....thats like havin an empty tank of gas..now I have to get a new one so i can pretend i know what i am doing. Can't wait for Friday....its Fish day....hehe