Salmon and corkies?

T
Troutier Bassier
How do I fish for Chinook and Coho with Corkies?
What size and Color do I use?
And How many?
What size Hook to?

Thats all.
Thanks in Advance.

K
Kodiak
Soo many options..soo little time.

Soo many options..soo little time.

Troutier..you are just going to have to feel out the situation...a lot of the steelies colors, sometimes small, sometimes large..just all depends.

V
VagrantAngler
I've never gone larger than a size 12 Corkie for either Salmon or Steel. If I feel I need more profile or bouyance I will just double up.Hook size for Salmon usually a # 1-1/0. Again all personal choice...if you are more comfortable tossin a size 10 or 8 with a 3/0 or 4/0 hook go nuts brother. If you feel confident with the gear you are fishing and your landing fish nothing else really matters.

I'm a big believer that many folks throw gear that is much too large for whatever species they are targeting. The only time I will use something that is very very large profiled is when the water is at our just below action stage(almost blown out) and really off color.

M
Mike123
Deoesn't matter as long as you have GOOD BAIT behind the corkie! ;)

T
tac503
sometime i only use small small corkies maybe a little bit of fly fishing yarn sparkly. never fails me.

Reactions: OnTheFly
V
VagrantAngler
I love that flash Glo Bug yarn!. Combine that with some anise/krill or Salmon Egg Scent and I'm good to go.

If I'm drifting bait I will occasionally run a corkie with it but usually a cheater as it floats better.

Reactions: OnTheFly
T
Troutier Bassier
Here was my Rig for Today. Corkie rig.

1oz, Swivel, Leader, Big corkie, lil corkie, lil corkie, yarn, hook.

Once I added the Yarn I got a fish.

M
Mike123
Troutier Bassier said:
Here was my Rig for Today. Corkie rig.

1oz, Swivel, Leader, Big corkie, lil corkie, lil corkie, yarn, hook.

Once I added the Yarn I got a fish.

You used that in Big Creek!? :think:

T
Troutier Bassier
Thats what Everyone Uses.

C
Cracker
Troutier Bassier said:

Are you drift fishing?

M
Mike123
Troutier Bassier said:

1oz. cannonball or what? That seems like a LOT for that little creek your fishing! Don't fall victim to learning how to "fish" the wrong way. I know how you have strong feelings against snaggers. ;)

T
Troutier Bassier
The guy I was fishing with wasn't Snagging, And He was using a 1oz Egg Sinker.

F
FishSchooler
1 oz is still a TON of weight for that small of a creek. I use 1 oz's for the columbia right next to bonneville!

T
Troutier Bassier
Dose it Matter?
I used Slinkys Too. But I only had 4 And there was this One spot where I would hook a fish and It would Sprint into a Bunch of Logs and Break me Off. So I lost my 2. So I used a 1oz Eggsinker.

S
STIKTIME
Salmon and corkies

Salmon and corkies

Last year on the sandy, my buddy and i used small pink and orange glow in the dark corkies with a little white yarn and we caught close to 15 coho in one day. I brought my head light and about every 10 cast's i would lighten it up for 10 seconds. Seemed to work pretty dang good

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Dose it Matter?
I used Slinkys Too. But I only had 4 And there was this One spot where I would hook a fish and It would Sprint into a Bunch of Logs and Break me Off. So I lost my 2. So I used a 1oz Eggsinker.

Yes it does matter...

S
steelhead_stalkers
Thats a good idea, you could probably us UV ones if they make them too.

F
FishSchooler
steelhead_stalkers said:
UV ones if they make them too.
I dont have a single normal corkie in my corkie stocks. They all have these weird silverish stripes on the sides of them. :think:;)
What about UV yarn?

T
THE JEFF
I have seen more people use egg weights in recent years, It kinda makes sense, the line goes through it so less resistance, you can feel the bite better, Maybe? Ill stick to pencil lead. As for corkies for coho small and orange, and for chinook a little bigger and metalic blue, or white.

T
Troutier Bassier
Do Size 4 Hooks work for Salmon? Coho.