Salmon 2020 show OFF

jamisonace
jamisonace
Last night I bonked a small steelhead that was clipped. The gametes were tiny so I figure it was an early summer. That and when I cut it, it was bright orange. No pics as it was small and ugly. Not picture worthy.

Then I found this fat girl. Another wild fish so she went back but man she was big. Definitely worth a photo.

IMG952884.jpg

Reactions: evantobias, Badfish, Hooked Up and 5 others
Bo Peep
Bo Peep
Wow that is a great looking fish to bad she had to go back.

G
Gulfstream
NICE! What river?

bass
bass
You are getting it done!!

O
OnTheDrop
Duckcross said:
Wow that is a great looking fish to bad she had to go back.
Not if you want runs in the future.. These fish are so much more than a meal on a plate. ( I love to eat them as much as the next guy/girl ) but truly a valuable resource.

Sweet fish Jamie! I got the skunkola today!

T
troutmasta
jamisonace said:
Last night I bonked a small steelhead that was clipped. The gametes were tiny so I figure it was an early summer. That and when I cut it, it was bright orange. No pics as it was small and ugly. Not picture worthy.

Then I found this fat girl. Another wild fish so she went back but man she was big. Definitely worth a photo.

That's a slab, Jamie. Well done.

L
lurkingfisher
Bet it was an awesome fight!

Reactions: jamisonace
jamisonace
jamisonace
Finally got some keeper springers. Two this week. I usually fish alone so the first one came Thursday night while on anchor fishing a diver and bait. I was in the middle of cooking my cup o noodles and I saw a bite start. It never became a take down but it was there for about a minute and I figured it had swallowed the bait. I lifted the rod slowly and could feel its weight on the line. I started pulling it to the boat and once I knew it was on good it was time to pull the anchor. So I said a prayer, put the rod between my legs and hoped it would still be on once the anchor was up and secured. Got the anchor up, got the rod back in my hands, started the motor and put the boat in a good place to land the fish. A few minutes later the fish was in the net. Of course it was the smallest I've caught this year at around 10 lbs. At the time I didn't bother with a pic because it was so small but now I wish I had. It made great sushi though and I did get a pic of that. Yesterday's fish was a great fish. My buddy got it back bouncing and it fought us through three holes before it gave up. Not the biggest fish I've put in the boat this season but the best fight by far.

Reactions: lurkingfisher and Admin
00Swede
00Swede
Not a sushi fan but I could sure think of something to do with a 10 pounder. Nice pics. I've got those same seats in my Koffler sled.

bass
bass
Way to go!

Do your freeze the salmon to kill the parasites? I have read that once fish enter fresh water that they can pick up some nasty kind of parasite but that freezing the fish (time depends on temp) kills them. I believe all sushi in restaurants is frozen for a bit for this purpose.

C_Run
C_Run
Way to go!

jamisonace
jamisonace
bass said:
Way to go!

Do your freeze the salmon to kill the parasites? I have read that once fish enter fresh water that they can pick up some nasty kind of parasite but that freezing the fish (time depends on temp) kills them. I believe all sushi in restaurants is frozen for a bit for this purpose.
I do not freeze it unless I'm hosting people outside my family. I'm sure there's a risk but I dont worry about it. I let the fish age at least 24 to 48 hours in the fridge before I eat it though. Doubt this does anything to kill parasites tho.

When I do freeze it, I put it in a cooler on dry ice. Food stays in better shape then faster you can freeze it.

L
lurkingfisher
Looking good!!

D
Dizzy Fisherman
jamisonace said:
Finally got some keeper springers. Two this week. I usually fish alone so the first one came Thursday night while on anchor fishing a diver and bait. I was in the middle of cooking my cup o noodles and I saw a bite start. It never became a take down but it was there for about a minute and I figured it had swallowed the bait. I lifted the rod slowly and could feel its weight on the line. I started pulling it to the boat and once I knew it was on good it was time to pull the anchor. So I said a prayer, put the rod between my legs and hoped it would still be on once the anchor was up and secured. Got the anchor up, got the rod back in my hands, started the motor and put the boat in a good place to land the fish. A few minutes later the fish was in the net. Of course it was the smallest I've caught this year at around 10 lbs. At the time I didn't bother with a pic because it was so small but now I wish I had. It made great sushi though and I did get a pic of that. Yesterday's fish was a great fish. My buddy got it back bouncing and it fought us through three holes before it gave up. Not the biggest fish I've put in the boat this season but the best fight by far.

Casey is a fishy guy

jamisonace
jamisonace
Dizzy Fisherman said:
Casey is a fishy guy
Nobody catches more fish than him. I like to learn from the best and I'm lucky to have met him a couple years ago. Was more lucky to have him fish with me for a couple hours on his rare day off.

W
Want2Fish39
Holy crap! That’s awesome. Gonna turn my catch into sushi soon🤤

305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
I went out with Gone Catching Guide Service and we indeed "Gone Catching" that day.

We hit our limit on Salmon in about an hour and half with one of them being a Nook, my buddy caught that one (Bastard LOL). Then we capped the morning off with 25 Black bass and 1 Ling Cod caught by my brother (Bastard LOL).

Nook.jpg

Ocean Coho(Cameron).jpg Black Bass and Ling.jpg

Reactions: Want2Fish39, troutdude and Admin
Irishrover
Irishrover
Sounds like a great day on the ocean. What port did you guys run out of?

G
Gulfstream
NICE!

305to503fishermen
305to503fishermen
We went out of Astoria.