Salmon 2010

• Thread starter Marvin's Guide Service
  • Start date
B

Bfishin

Bill Monroe: Spring chinook forecast holds great news for anglers | Bill Monroe - – OregonLive.com
Oregon Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - OregonLive.com
For the second week in a row, good news arrived for anglers as key biologists for Oregon and Washington on Thursday released their forecast for 2010 upriver Columbia and Snake River spring chinook salmon ...

So with good returns expected on the Columbia would one expect the same fo the Willamette, specifically the upper river?

H

HARDWOODFLOORGUY

Bill Monroe: Spring chinook forecast holds great news for anglers | Bill Monroe - – OregonLive.com
Oregon Local News, Breaking News, Sports & Weather - OregonLive.com
For the second week in a row, good news arrived for anglers as key biologists for Oregon and Washington on Thursday released their forecast for 2010 upriver Columbia and Snake River spring chinook salmon ...

one thing about bill monroe he can make dismal fishing sound great
and yet good fishing sound dismal.when he was doing the oregonian weekly report i used to wonder if he ever got out of his car to really see what was going on with the fish in the rivers.
if i remember right the last 4 years we have heard we were in for record #'s
and yet there were still less fish than when i started fishing 15 years ago.
if you read the guides forecast or odfw weekly report it looks like bill monroe just does the copy and paste report of the others:think:

C

cchinook

you got that right - O.D.F.W. predictions have usualy turned into a joke -

H

HARDWOODFLOORGUY

Bill Monroe sounds like a Homo!

ever seen his picture?i thinks you might be right friend!
if i were a fishing reporter i would love my job so much i wouldn't report off other peoples reports....i would go out to the river myself,lick the blood off the rocks and tell you how fresh the fish was even and what his last meal was!:cool:cause ya gotta love fishing if ya want that job.

H

HARDWOODFLOORGUY

So with good returns expected on the Columbia would one expect the same fo the Willamette, specifically the upper river?

no,it would depend which hatchery the majority of fish were released from.
they will always return to their own hatchery.and lately the odfw can't seem to manage all species so we get what we had last fall....a huge coho return but the worst return in chinook or winter steel or summers.
unlike washington odfw can't seem to manage all species and runs anymore
so we get one good run but lack in others...kinda like how we don't have trout in rivers anymore,the fish have always existed together but now they think the trout will eat the salmon eggs so they don't care for trout in the rivers.
i think anytime man gets his hands involved with nature it don't work out well.

K

Kodiak

Banned User
We have to remember this is comming off of the largest return of three year jacks in history. I crunched the numbers after the "official end" of springer run on the columbia and the numbers make absolutely no sense what so ever. If you run the numbers with good ocean conditions you get 1.2 million returning adults, which has never happened....EVER. I talked to Jack Buchman at ODFW and mulled it over with him...at mediocre ocean conditions you get 600,000 returning adults....while slightly more realistic, would be a record return. Niether of us are comfortable making that prediction, We both felt verry good about 475,000 being a solid attainable number....with the expectation that this number will be exceeded by the possibility of 150,000 fish.

As far as the the upper willamette is concerned the prediction will come in around 68,000. Under absolute perfect conditions the returning adults over willamette falls will be 120,000. 75,000 is a verry real number we could see. At 68,000 Over the falls the willamette system will come in around 80,000 fish.

D

Diehard

key biologists

key biologists

so the key biologists say we are in for a great run which means the nets will go in on schedule and the run will be even further damaged sounds like good news to me this is getting old good luck on the salmon fishing this year its gonna be another great year

G

GDBrown

Bill Monroe

Bill Monroe

ever seen his picture?i thinks you might be right friend!
if i were a fishing reporter i would love my job so much i wouldn't report off other peoples reports....

Do you guys have any idea how long he has been reporting on fishing in Oregon? He was considered an old timer when I moved here in '85. He used to give some great seminars and he has connections all over the state. Give the old guy some slack. We should all be so lucky to have fished as much as he.

Gene

C

Cohosanders

Where do they run?

Where do they run?

What rivers do the Spring Chinnok run in? I have never fished for Spring Salmon before obviously and I was interested what hatcheries they go to. Thanks for any help.

T

Troutier Bassier

They go in the Sandy and Clack. And most rivers that get a run of falls.