Salish Ponds, now fishing.

T
Troutier Bassier
They stocked salish ponds with 50 brooders on Friday. Better go catch them. I caught 2 yesterday so theres about 48 left. lol
Green powerbait 2 feet off the bottom is whats working,.

C
Cowboykid8
Had no luck on this last weekend, 29th & 30th, the fish get a bit more active around 4-5pm, and I saw a few of the big guys jumping when I could still see. Probabaly won't head back out until the next plant in a couple weeks.

G
GerbilManBoa
Good info

P
PARTYBOY
Caught a 22in 4lb trout there last year about this time

B
Big3d
I was out at Salish Ponds yesterday, all sorts of trout coming out of west, everyone had bobber/worm setup, I tried that with no luck, I switched to my salmon egg rigger and put worm on one hook and white gulp eggs on the other (hoping to confuse the pelletheads) no trout for me though, I did catch a bottomfeeder that looked like a frog mated with a rockfish (ugly, and i have no idea what it was, any thoughts?) I then went over to east and watched several bluegill feeding and mating (is that sick of me?) tried a few things over there, got a few hits, and i saw a bass at least 16" and very fat swim by me when I was out on the rock point, but no landings out of east, I'd like to go back out there but it's a long drive, any ideas for me so i can make it a more successful trip next time?

D
Drew9870
Big3d said:
I did catch a bottomfeeder that looked like a frog mated with a rockfish (ugly, and i have no idea what it was, any thoughts?)

Sculpin, some call them Bullheads, some places I refuse to use a worm on the bottom because of them.

B
Big3d
thanks drew checked for a pic and that was the ugly beast I caught he was my only landed fish no matter how ugly he was but I really wanted a few of those trout

B
bassman503
Try this:1/4 ounce sliding sinker, bead, swivel, leader, size 8 hook and worm/powerbait/salmon eggs or whatever. Cast out and slowly retrieve it. It's deadly. I caught 6 in less than an hour yesterday doing this. Don't know why some ppl would plunk when the pond is sooo deep and the fish are up above. Good luck

B
Big3d
I pulled in that exact rig on a snag, except it had a red treble hook on it, I didn't own beads until I got one from the water!

B
bassman503
Lol I dont use treble. Did you catch any?

B
Big3d
Anybody know if you can park there again yet? I wanted to fish the east pond in the morning.

H
hanapaa808
I live right there....i believe the gates are open but it hasnt been stocked in a while!

M
mgdguy
From ODFW:

"The Salish Ponds Wetlands Park has been closed by the City of Fairview as an extensive renovation project gets underway. ODFW will likely not be stocking West Salish Pond again until late September of 2012."

B
Big3d
that's ok, I'm looking at fishing the east pond anyway. There a few elusive very large bass hiding and I wanted to pull em in during the middle of winter!!! I wouldn't keep even the 1 per day allowed but I need to fish and i can't afford tags yet, was barely able to get my new license. maybe I'll just hit the willy instead.

C
catfishman89
Ive seen a ten pounder come from the east pond. Its to bad they didn't plants any brooders.

B
BigMuskie
Dont park on glisan!!!!

Dont park on glisan!!!!

They have been ticketing, and the gates and fences were not reopened by the city, people cut them, I was asked if I cut them open to get in, I was worried that they were going to blame me! Got out of the ticket but another car didn't!

bass
bass
Out of curiosity I just called the City of Fairview (1-8-13) and they said that Salish pond was open to fishing but that some of the trails were still closed. I assume this means there is at least partial access. They also said that the ponds had not been stocked in a while and were not scheduled to be stocked.

T
Troutier Bassier
bass said:
Out of curiosity I just called the City of Fairview (1-8-13) and they said that Salish pond was open to fishing but that some of the trails were still closed. I assume this means there is at least partial access. They also said that the ponds had not been stocked in a while and were not scheduled to be stocked.

Yeah its pretty dumb, like the park is totally open now I think. They've renovated it and made it look extremely nice! but they aren't planning on stocking it until next year I believe. Still its gonna be a good warmwater fishery this summer!

I
Ifishforfood
hmmmmm... why'd they stock it this early if it was supposed to be unstocked till fall?

bass
bass
Ifishforfood said:
hmmmmm... why'd they stock it this early if it was supposed to be unstocked till fall?

The pond has not been stocked yet this year. It is not going to be stocked this spring according to the city of Fairview and the ODFW.