Salish Pond

S
Shallowbay
Went out to Salish Pond today and fished for about 2 hours. I have to say I was thoroughly unimpressed. I'm not sure if it was the East or West pond. I think it was the East. It was the one right off of Glisan next to a housing community and what looked like some apartments. It was pretty crowded for a small area. There were about 10 people out there with me, none of which were friendly. You are close to the airport so you get a jet flying over about every 5 minutes and I even had a track team run by me. Not exactly a tranquil nature spot. With that being said, it's a good sized pond with good bank access all around so I was hopeful that despite all of the other elements, maybe I'd get a couple good fish. I didn't get one bite! Neither did any others that I could see. I used a shallow crankbait lure, rainbow green powerbait under a bobber, gulp worms with a casting sinker, and a soft plastic zoom fluke. Guess they weren't hungry this morning. I'll wait a while and try again ... you never know it could have just been a bad day.

B
beaverfan
Sucks you couldn't get into any fish! This is probably not the greatest time to be hitting urban ponds. Most are fairly shallow and can't support trout very well. Salish gets fished very heavy due to it's location and gets fished out 2-3 weeks after the last stocking. Warm water makes it rough fishing from the bank for trout. Both ponds have bass and bullhead in them and I think East Salish has more warmwater fish but no trout.

S
Shallowbay
re: Salish Pond

Thanks for the comments. Makes sense. Any advice on a good place to go at this time of year for trout or bass? I live in the Sherwood area.

-Shallowbay

B
beaverfan
The Tualatin has some bass and other species that will hit right now. Out by Estacada there are some reservoirs on the Clackamas you might check out. (Estacada lake/North Fork Reservoir) The Clackamas below Estacada is producing some Steelhead and a few Chinooks and will soon be loaded with Coho. The boat ramp in Newberg has some decent Sturgeon fishing. If you don't care what you catch and just want to catch a fish try the Willamette pretty much anywhere you can access it. Bring some worms. Put a small piece of worm and a little weight and cast out.

S
Shallowbay
Re: Salish Pond

Cool. Thanks man!

J
JASMINE
I only went to Salish once and i will never go back, it's WAY too many people for too little of an area, and the people there are all d$%^s.

T
Troutier Bassier
Thats West salish ponds.
It hasnt been stocked in a few Months so thats why you dident catch anything.
That pond has Trout, And a few Bluegill.
Fish at it when it gets stocked and Go home within 10 Mins.

G
golfer34
Shallowbay said:
Thanks for the comments. Makes sense. Any advice on a good place to go at this time of year for trout or bass? I live in the Sherwood area.

-Shallowbay

how about sherwood pond

G
golfer34
Shallowbay said:

-Shallowbay

faraday up on the clackamas was recently stocked

B
beaverfan
golfer34 said:
how about sherwood pond

Where is Sherwood Pond? I lived there for several years and didn't know they had a fishable pond.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Thats West salish ponds.
It hasnt been stocked in a few Months so thats why you dident catch anything.
That pond has Trout, And a few Bluegill.
Fish at it when it gets stocked and Go home within 10 Mins.

Should I post your secret?

T
Troutier Bassier
Sure, go Ahead. I dont fish there that Often any more.

W
wrestlerstud32
golfer34 said:
how about sherwood pond

there is a sherwood pond? never heard of it. i would like to know where it is cause i live in sherwood.
thanks

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Sure, go Ahead. I dont fish there that Often any more.

Okay...
He uses 20 lb main with a 10 lb leader, a 10 oz egg lead, 3 5/0 hooks with a bit of beef on all of them, or a 10 oz kastmaster with a piece of reindeer meat. :D

Now really... 1/2 oz egg lead, bead, swivel, 2-4 lb leader, size 8-12 egg hook, chartruese or lime green eggs with scent.

T
Troutier Bassier
Reindeer Meat?
Horse Meat.

F
FishSchooler
Troutier Bassier said:
Reindeer Meat?
Horse Meat.

Oh, I was a little OFF... ;)

G
golfer34
beaverfan said:
Where is Sherwood Pond? I lived there for several years and didn't know they had a fishable pond.

sorry about that I ment to say wilsonville pond it has bass and other warm water species