Salish Pond Trout Fishing

A
allford
I read on the fishing report last night that they stocked Salish pond with 100 6 to 15 lb trout Monday. I got the wife to drop the kids off and stopped for my 1 hr fish before work today. I starting at dark o clock ( 6:45 ) and left at 8:15 to be at work by 9. I saw 3 LARGE trout bonked by the time I left. Of course, I was on the wrong end of the pond. All were caught on the fishing dock end. I overheard one guy saying they head to the shallow end after they are dumped in until they get used to not being in the pen anymore. Don't know if this is true but makes sense. They are supposed to stock it again the week of the 22nd. Now I have to decide trout that I now are there or Steelhead that may or may not be there yet.

B
bigdog
I don't know if they go to the shallow or not I mean that does make sence but more the reason they are at the docks after being stocked is because that is where they stock it at everytime they drop some fish in there. Right off to the right of the dock in facted I have been there manytimes when they do the stocking and that is where it is done from. As far as 100 that really isn't very many for that pond it gets real deep some spots up to 90 feet. I was out there one morning a little wile back when the cops were after someone not sure if they got him but he through something in there (gun, drugs) who knows what but they brought out the dive team to look and on the glissan side the diver was only out about 10 feet from the bank and he was already 50+ feet deep. So yeah that pond gets deep.

F
FishWenKan
I was at salish befor the snow hit last week was there for 4 hours in the morn and I saw at least 4 pulled from by the dock on pb and I think a castmaster. I started at one end work my way around. No luck tho I was flinging a castmaster and a bunch of spinners. Maybe next time I'll use pb. Ya that pond does have some deep areas.r there any other fish in there? Or the other pond can we even fish that side?

B
bigdog
Yes there are plenty ofuther fish in there. To start there are cropie and a lot of them to, there is perch they love the worms, catfish and there are some good size bass in there to but realy hard to get them bass to hit. One time I was there and caught a bull frog on a worm lol now that was different.

L
Lono Brook
Cold Salish wind

Cold Salish wind

Fished from Noon to 4 pm. Saw 15 or so rods and no fish caught. Windy but not wet. Lots of airplanes and birds!

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Welcome to OFF

Welcome to OFF

Lono Brook;
Welcome to the finest fishing forum in the country. You're OFF to a good start,sharing information. I know, it would have been more fun to start OFF telling us about some monster fish you banked, but the fish seem to be fairly tight-lipped right now. We all know the feeling. Do you fish the other ponds up there,too? Are you going out on the rivers right now? Please feel free to check out all areas here and have fun. Thanks for sharing and good luck.
Barb

L
Lono Brook
Thanks Barb

Thanks Barb

Thanks Barb, it's good to see this forum and get a chance to try and help others have fun. I'm a native Portlander who has been trout fishing for about 20 years around here now. Mostly lakes in Oregon and Wash. from the coast to the cascades. Some fly-fishing in BC. I fish both bait and fly, from boat, tube and bank.
Winter fishing is always slow as you know. It's more of an excuse to get outside! I occasionally have luck on PB or worms under a bobber in winter. If the bottom is weed-free and rocky, try bouncing your PB along the bottom by raising your rod and winding 2-3 turns, then let it settle. Wait 10-20 sec.'s and go again. Also, stinky gel on your weights can help draw fish in.
Chase the stocking trucks and good luck!

L
Lono Brook
Salish report 1/10/09

Salish report 1/10/09

I fished Sat 1/10 from about 10-1:30. The guy to my right hooked a big one but broke it off. The guy to my left hooked and lost one. Then the guy to left of that guy finally landed one. looked to be about 6-8#'s and in decent shape. I saw one other beat up dish swim by, NOT a keeper, in bad condition. Heard there were two fish caught the previous Thursday. All on Power bait, leaders about 2 foot long. Good luck, mates!

J
JGardner11
Luck in Salish Pond

Luck in Salish Pond

Has anyone been very sucessful fishing Salish Pond recently? Since the ice melted away the water has risen and I have not done very well. I am mixing it up with spinners and powerbait. Fishing all throughout the days. Early and late. Im not even getting any bites. My next attempt is going to be with the bobber and worm. Are any of you using this method? Let me know as I am getting quite discouraged.

D
DDR
I need to get out there and try it during these cooler months. Anybody know the secret to catching anything in there that's bigger than 9 inches?

Also, anybody ever fish the east pond for the bass and crappies? According to the reg book you can keep 1 bass and 10 crappies out of the east pond. Gotta git some crappies in the freezer!

G
Green_Tackle
Anybody know the secret to catching anything in there that's bigger than 9 inches?

I feel th chances are going to be better with a spinner or lure than with powerbait in my opinion... but that goes for anywhere, not just salish. The "big one" I saw get pulled in was with a (I think) a silver kastmaster. But, remember the pond is very deep and there is vegetation on the bottom.

G
Green_Tackle
Oh yeah, and pay attention to what and when it's stocked. ODFW stocks it with "Larger" and "Trophy" trout.

D
DDR
Yeah, I've been looking at that. Any areas of the pond that you think are a better area to cast from than others? Whenever I get a chance to get out there I'm stuck on the side where all the trees are between the two ponds.

G
Green_Tackle
Whenever I get a chance to get out there I'm stuck on the side where all the trees are between the two ponds.

Honestly, it's a small pond and I think success at Salish depending on the weather and temperature, when it's been stocked, and how much pressure there is (between a lot and more than a lot). I've caught a couple rainbows on that side between the trees. It seems most people tend to group around the south side near the fence. While I'm not certain, I believe it's deeper on that end and more shallow near the docks. I've seen people catching trout on both sides. The "big one" I've seen caught was on the south side though.

At the end of the day, the appeal of Salish is it's close proximity to Portland (for those of us who live in Portland and want a quick lunch break fishing trip).

D
DDR
Exactly. Salish is half way between my place and my girlfriends place so it's a quicky option for me.

M
mgdguy
DDR said:
Anybody know the secret to catching anything in there that's bigger than 9 inches?

My understanding is that the bigger guys are at the bottom, and most success catching them is floating some powerbait a couple or so feet off the bottom...

Every time I get a chance to go out there it always too &^%$@! windy! :mad: Not worth it...

T
Troutier Bassier
Ive Been There A Thousand Times (every week) and I come home with a fish 70% of the time. Yes, From what I Have observed Its takes tem 1 day or 2 to get used to the water thats when they start hitting hard. If you go there and throw some Chartruse power eggs You will catch one For Sure!.

Tight Lines

p.s If You see 2 Kids running around and catching all the fish. The tall one is me

F
fishfan67
Where is this pond. Sounds like fun!!

D
DDR
Thanks Trouttier!

This pond is in the Fairview/Gresham area. Not much for parking but a nice place nonetheless. Just picked up some new stuff to try fishing with but no powerbait or paste or anything like that. I'm more of a lure user.

C
chrishophoto
I have been to Salish several times, but only caught one fish (about two months ago). It was however a 16" Rainbow, caught with a 3/16 oz Castmaster. Two hours later, it had been poached in white wine, and eaten!

-