Salem ponds

U
USCGAUXHinkle
I heard that our state's capital is home to some sweet bass ponds! any idea where these might be??

F
Finneus Polebender
Many ponds in salem the ones on the west side of I-5 are open think the one TT saw is private not positive , the newer ones on the east side of I-5 have signage too . hear the back waters of the willy in salem are full of nice bass too!

J
JeepsAreBuilt
I've seen fish pulled out of Walling pond which is on 16th and Mcgilchrist.. I've heard of blue gill and trout of there. Sometimes I just park there and eat my lunch and watch the lake and people fishing.

Next pond I know of is the one at Cascade park, which is behind Walmart on Turner Rd. I've pulled trout out of that lake a long time ago. The pond North of Mill Creek at that park, I've never fished - it looks too shallow.

D
Drew9870
I would say you live in the best location for bass, Albany has it all, and conviently located.

Waverly Lake
First and Second Lake (Simpson Park/Pond) and the pond across the street.
Timber-Linn Lake
Calopooia River
Willamette (Smallies are most common)
Freeway Lakes

Google Map it. The ones TTFishon mentioned are not open to the public (unless you were talking about Walter Wirth), both gated off, but Webb Lake (the West one) is one of those places you have to pay the $400 (or somewhere in that range) annual fee to fish it, but it holds a healthy supply of monster fish. The other is a fenced off pond in front of Lowes, of course, back in the old days when I was like 14 and didn't really know how to fish, we did sneek in there twice with absolutely no luck using nightcrawlers (has to be fish in there).

Theres not many ponds in Salem, which probably accounts for them all being so fished out since everyone only visits these few ponds.

C
chrisohm
You can also check out the St. Louis Ponds. A little outside of Salem but worth a try! I am taking my son there this weekend for the first time.

C
c_chickens
minto brown state park! lots of fattys

R
ryan808
I second Minto Brown, but you need to float on the water to get to the better spots.

P
PARTYBOY
I hit up Walling Pond on Friday evening, was there for like 3 hours got hit up 3 times only caught 1 though...about 10in 1.5lb Large mouth!

F
Finneus Polebender
PARTYBOY said:
I hit up Walling Pond on Friday evening, was there for like 3 hours got hit up 3 times only caught 1 though...about 10in 1.5lb Large mouth!

Nice deal nothin wrong with that one!

P
PARTYBOY
Fished at walling again this morning. Got there at like 5:40 and fished till 8:30ish. Landed 4 Bass ranging from 5in to 11in, fun pond for morning topwater!!! Headed back this pm for another sesh!

P
PARTYBOY
Caught 3 more this evening for a total of 7 today!

J
JeepsAreBuilt
Cool.. how are you fishing for those bass in walling ? If you dont mind me asking

P
PARTYBOY
In the morning I'm using some of Rapala's top water jigs and the afternoon/evenings i use weedless plastics mainly Gary Yamamoto worms.

P
PARTYBOY
Hit up Walling Pond for about an hour this am from 9:30-10:30 caught 4 Bass, no big ones though all about 6-9in but had good time!

T
The Brown Kid Dora
well i live in albany. I would get dropped off at waverly pond and walk up to swan lake and all the way down to simpson when i was 13. Im 20 now i been bass fishing those ponds for yeaaarsss and i must say they are definitely not like they used to be. But you can definitely catch fish out of there. its all bank fishing unless you know a home owner on swan lakes. And simpson ponds are only fishable if you have a boat because of the summer algea. But i wouldnt recommend any ponds in the albany/lebanon area this time of year. Its all about early spring. Thats when the big fish bite. As for summer the lakes dry up and there is a lot of thick green slimy algea that makes it hard to fish. Early spring look for champion pond or mill pond lebanon oregon right across from wal mart. or Simpson ponds. And as far as bass fishing goes around here or anywhere else! Gary Yamasenko 5'' or jigs and pork!!! trust me im a doctor lol.

P
PARTYBOY
Fished Waverly last month hooked up on a 3.5lb large mouth, got him on a 5'' purple and blue senko, pond is broke in my opinion and waste of time fished for like 5hrs and only 1 fish, on plus side it is a nice park...everything down there just seems overfished and dirty

T
The Brown Kid Dora
PARTYBOY said:
Fished Waverly last month hooked up on a 3.5lb large mouth, got him on a 5'' purple and blue senko, pond is broke in my opinion and waste of time fished for like 5hrs and only 1 fish, on plus side it is a nice park...everything down there just seems overfished and dirty
couldnt agree with you more. definitely over fished and dirty. it just is not the same anymore. i used to walk that whole lake using just 1 rapala on the top water. i would catch fish all day. but now its just not worth it anymore. but dont get me wrong i know there are still decent sized bass in there.

P
PARTYBOY
Anyone having any luck catchin' any in the area? Just picked up a new popper and want to go try it out but walling is gettin old lol

R
ryan808
I tried wailing this morning, not a thing..... the other pond in the back looked promising, but never bothered after the unsuccessful try at wailing

P
PARTYBOY
the back pond is shallow and thick with grass no point in throwing in there. i fish the main pond in the lil cove areas in the corners of the pond...i catch at least 4 largies everytime i go out, i have more luck with top water than plastics but have caught plenty on both! Prob just gonna fish there in the morning with my new popper see if it gets some.

Last edited: