Salad shrimp

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Don't leave home without 'em if you fish with bait...

Spent a week at Lost Lake last week. Had a couple ok days of fishing.

yz74w4J.jpg

90DSNTq.jpg

u7RAipp.jpg

The last one was for a laugh. Thats a 11 incher my boy caught in the big guy's mouth. He landed 3 fish that day between 10 -13 inches. 2 had to be kept. One was able to be released.

Was funny to see/hear people whining that nothin worked - flies, lures, or the ever popular power bait. All the fish we caught that day were on salad shrimp from the freezer at Fred Meyer...

Fwiw that big girl cut whiter than a sea bass, was bland and flavorless. Guess her trip from sea to hatchery was a long one. Obviously she is a steelhead recycled as a "trophy" trout - see spawned out belly.

Caught on a 5'6" ultralight outfit - she was like leading a trained dog on a leash - no fight to her. The boys fish put up more tussle. I also caught some smaller fish on lures a coupke days later that had more poop to the fight than her.

The nay sayers didn't believe me when I told of this catch, they whined odfw didn't dump any trophy fish in the lake like the stocking schedule said. Wifey didn't keep her phone on her all the time to show otherwise.

Would love to get one as long as her after it'd wintered over and fattened up! 24 inches on the nose.

Biggest fish of the year for me so far.

Last edited:
T
TimberTodd
Shame the larger one didn't put up a better fight for you GU.Man I love that lake, it is so pretty there. How was the boat launch area?

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Usable but a few of the larger rocks could stand to be moved. Lake was a tad lower than normal too - maybe a foot or 18" lower than I am used to.

The whole trophy stockibg thing had waaaaay too many people put there most days though.

S
sapo
Nice!

F
Fishpdx
Yea I fish clear lake near mount hood and I use salad shrimp, killer bait but flies off easily. catch lot's of rainbow and brown trout

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
I learned a trick to helping with the bait flinging - when rooting through the bag o shrimp - grab a rubbery feeling one. They stay on the hook better.

bass
bass
Great post GU! When I lived in NC shrimp was our go to catfish bait. I also use them surf fishing, but I have never tried them for trout.

T
TimberTodd
I have used sewing thread wrapped around the shrimp and hook to keep them on while bobber fishing for salmon.

B
Big3d
Stretchy threads are nice for that, congrats on the biggin. If I understand correctly all the "trophies" went in early this year as "pounders" however if you're at the lost lake I think you're at, they dump steelhead from nearby traps later in the season and it's not part of the regular trout stocking program.

T
troutmasta
Clatsop county Lost Lake?!?

Thats a recycled steelhead I believe- I used to fish the bejesus out of that lake...

on another note I landed a Chinook today on that G-loomis 11' 6" you sold me a couple years ago.

Tight Lines

GungasUncle
GungasUncle
Sry for the late response - yeah I knew from it's looks it was recycled steel - it was a "snake" of a fish and white meat, no fight - no way it was hold over or even a tank raised "trophy"

Congrats on the 'nook. That was a fun rod to fish with for sure, glad you're liking it.