Sage Vantage fly rod

E
Excaliber
Have any of you taken these new Sage rods for a spin? I'm going to get my Wife into Fly Fishing and was told this would be a nice rod for a beginer. It was the rod they kept pointing me to at several shops.

I've looked at several rods in the under 250.00 class and it seems like one of the best ones for sure.

This rod has a med fast action and I think it would be a heck of a learning rod. I was impressed with the build and how light the rod was. I didn't get a chance to try it out but I will real soon.

B
bigsteel
i dont own a sage but ive swung a few,,they have very nice action but too spendy for my taste,,,scott makes a nice rod as tfo...imo...i have an orvis and it is the best feeling rod ive had other then my fathers old fenwick.

O
OnTheFly
You can't go wrong with a Sage or an Orvis. Both are oustanding rods. Besides the quality of the rod, the manufacturer will back their product 100%.
I would say the Vantage is a good rod for the price in the Sage line but if you are a more aggressive caster, a faster action rod would be better.:)

H
halibuthitman
OnTheFly said:
You can't go wrong with a Sage or an Orvis. Both are oustanding rods. Besides the quality of the rod, the manufacturer will back their product 100%.
I would say the Vantage is a good rod for the price in the Sage line but if you are a more aggressive caster, a faster action rod would be better.:)

if your casting aggressively you need to slow down..;) just kidding. I own and cast sages and Hardys, I used to have a discovery I let folks learn with, it was an ok rod but not anything like and rpl or sp... I actually feel the sage lower end rods are not worth the money. A cabellas three forks package, or the redington crosswater, or the okuma packages all are perfect for learning, considering 90% of begginer flyfishers never continue on in the sport, unless this is just a ploy to get some new gear in the futer banking on the failure of the enterprise, then I would go with something in a nice four piece;) Good luck.

M
Mike123
Man! Wish I could have started out with a Sage!! :(
I started out with a Pflueger.

H
halibuthitman
Mike123 said:
Man! Wish I could have started out with a Sage!! :(
I started out with a Pflueger.

everyone should start out with a fiberglass 6wt and a medalist reel... you were lucky to learn on gear that makes you actually learn how to cast:D

G
GDBrown
Fiberglass Yea

Fiberglass Yea

halibuthitman said:
everyone should start out with a fiberglass 6wt and a medalist reel... you were lucky to learn on gear that makes you actually learn how to cast:D

How did you know that's what I had? Mine was a hand me down back in '75, but it made me learn control. Maybe I need to back to that for a while.:(

GD

M
Mike123
halibuthitman said:

Oh yea! Actually my veryyy first fly rod was my grandpas, an olddd fiberglass 6wt. My buddy's grandfather showed me how to cast, and really I actually learned it quick. Then I bought that graphite $50 Pflueger and I thought I was in heaven! :lol: I couldn't even imagine a Sage. I'd like to get one of those TCO fly rods when I get the extra dough. I took my fly rod steelhead fishing with me the other day, but I just couldn't put down the spinning rod very long. :lol:

B
bigsteel
halibuthitman said:

i started with a fenwick fiberglass 6wt and medalist reel,,,,,still a good reel

O
OnTheFly
Wow. I thought just the older guys started with glass fly rods not graphite. Thanks HHM guess I'm not so old fasion after all:dance:

The Pflueger reels have improved over the years. My first one (I still have) was the model that the spool snapped inside the reel frame which ment you couldn't palm the spool from the outside rim. In other words you'd get your knuckles slammed by the handle while trying to slow a large fish. I also own a newer one that the spool spins on the outside. Much better

E
Excaliber
I learned( still learning) with an old Fenwick rod and some old fly reel. We had a few TFO's and recently picked up a few rods with lifetime warranties but they are heavier than the best made rods. Lifetime warranties are the way to go with fly rods IMHO.

I like the Redington CPX rods for the money. Those will be next in the arsenal.

Thanks for the input.