Sad news - 12th St Market burns down

N

n8r1

This is a bummer for those who spend time in Seaside. Friendly little market, family owned, and right next to the 12th St Bridge.

F

FishFinger

Yeah I was really surprised to hear about that this morning. I wonder if it's connected to the recent fires in Astoria.

N

n8r1

I was passing through Seaside on Thursday evening and I stopped by to see the burned down market. Sadly, it's a total loss. Only the east wall is standing, and it looks like they're clearing out rubble and charred remains. I don't know what they will build there but I doubt they put up another corner market on that prime riverfront real estate. I didn't get pictures because it was dark out and my iPhone doesn't have a flash.

F

fishtales

Too bad about the fire. It was a good place to get out of the rain and grab bait and or a snack. Did'nt the property next door to the east burn down years ago? The Copeland Lumber Comapny.

N

n8r1

It looks like they have finally cleared out all the rubble and debris from the old market. Sad that this happened, it was such a friendly little market and a great location. You can't tell from the picture but directly to the right there's a house that's probably loving it though. They went from having a backyard with a view of a big ugly cinderblock wall, to a 270 panaramic view of the entire estuary.

Fishtales--I didn't know that there was a lumber yard there. Is that where the Prom Bike Shop now sits?

Attachments

• Picture 945.jpg
    Picture 945.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 47
F

fishtales

Not sure but I think so. It was on the corner at the 4way intersection. I remember when the Safeway was across the street. Years ago we got some beer there and dropped them from the bridge to friends boating. 

Now that I think about it, Copeland’s Lumber may not have burnt to the grown, but there definitely was a fire that caused gobs of damage years ago.