S. Santiam

S
Sage_Flyguy
First off let me say, I typically won't pull a fish out of water if I plan on releasing it. I was by myself and had to snap a photo of this guy. Took me by surprise, I have always been under the assumption that the S. Santiam doesn't have any native Rainbows in it. First I thought I was hooked into a big cutthroat or a small winter Steelhead. Then I pulled this beauty in right at 20 inches.

• photo32200.jpg
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Blue Lines, Ultramepps and Admin
rogerdodger
rogerdodger
maybe a steelie that just stayed home in the river?

brandon4455
brandon4455
Really nice fish. I was under the assumption both Santiamshave native rainbows just like the willamette and McKenzie. I’ve caught them out of the north Santiam at least.

S
Sage_Flyguy
Thanks Brandon, I've caught native trout on the North only Cutthroat on the South until the other day and I'm a terrible fly fisherman I live only about 40 minutes from the Mckenzie and never fished it nor the Willamette

Southpaw
Southpaw
Get a rubber net, makes it easier on the fish and gives good pics still. Feel free to look at my post as I fly fish by myself a lot and have caught several large trophy size trout (one of those wss from yesterday)
I don't know what it is but I tend to catch large fish on my single hand 4wt so often

Reactions: Admin
troutdude
troutdude
Sage_Flyguy

That's a native fish? Looks fin-clipped to me.

S
Sage_Flyguy
troutdude for whatever reason it rotated the photo. It's kind of hard to see either way, it's definitely a native fish though.

I was mainly out on the water to get some casting in. I had developed an open loop I was attempting to tighten up. I've never been a great caster, I'm only good to anything up to about 75'. Which is fine that's a very fishable distance. While at the river I noticed my forward stroke was too long. Hopefully this will help me fight through some of this afternoon wind.

Reactions: troutdude