S. Santiam spit one up!

C
Combat Chuck
I got my FIRST SUMMER STEELHEAD today! I was fishing maybe five minutes when I hooked up. I was a bit unsure of how to land it (having only fought with one monster winter) but the fish cooperated just fine :D I almost just took my fish and went home then, but whats river fishing without cold feet and a big crowd around you. I stuck it out for another hour with one missed strike but didn't really enjoy the pressure of the crowd after I caught that fish (its not very hard to do to a newbie, but I'm working on it). Caught it on a dark red and black jig. Can anybody help me with jig colors? I just blindly grab one and dont truly know what I should be using.

B
Bass Ackwards
Nice fish!! CONGRATS

S
steelhead_stalkers
Dark colors are good for summer and pink seems to work for a lot of people even though I hardly use it! Purple works well for me as well!

M
mgdguy
awesome job man! Welcome to the club of first summers this year :D

P
PDXKush
Congrats on the chrome bro.

K
Kodiak
Awesome Chuck!

Troutski
Troutski
Sweet...

Sweet...

As far as the colors go...try to pick a contrasting color. Evidently you picked just fine. Very nice fish...very nice, like what was said earlier..welcome to the summer fun..:clap:

Chuck

J
Johnny Southpaw
Combat Chuck said:
I got my FIRST SUMMER STEELHEAD today! I was fishing maybe five minutes when I hooked up. I was a bit unsure of how to land it (having only fought with one monster winter) but the fish cooperated just fine :D I almost just took my fish and went home then, but whats river fishing without cold feet and a big crowd around you. I stuck it out for another hour with one missed strike but didn't really enjoy the pressure of the crowd after I caught that fish (its not very hard to do to a newbie, but I'm working on it). Caught it on a dark red and black jig. Can anybody help me with jig colors? I just blindly grab one and dont truly know what I should be using.

Nice fish CC!!:clap::clap: I have yet to hook into a summer steelie, so I'm quite envious. Congrats!

T
Troutier Bassier
Boy your luckey, I was gonna hook into my first summer sometime next week maybe.

J
JeannaJigs
Right on! As far as jigs go, here's my two cents, I like black and red or solid black with a red head for summer fish, and I follow the rule of smaller is better, as the water I fish is crystal clear. Sometimes I'll go with a black/cerise combo with a black head, or red/pink/white with either a red or white head. Winter fish will eat up pink, but summer fish don't seem to like it quite as much, I think it's the contrast with the water, in the winter the water's cloudy so the pink contrasts nice.

End of my two cents

That's a real nice fish!

D
davep
I use really small jigs in the summer...size 6 or 8...either nightmare (red body with black tail or visa versa) or my fav is olive dark or light body with a orange or red maribou tail.. .

C
Combat Chuck
Cool, I picked up a couple darker jigs today and I'm gonna try it again tonight. They were the smallest Bi-mart had in stock but I think they are still bigger than what some of you had been talking about. Im on the right track at the very least.

Troutski
Troutski
How far up ....

How far up ....

Where abouts were you on the river, I have done quite well around the Sweet Home/Lebanon area. My first Steel on a jig was just below the dam in Sweet Home.
I don't know for sure if they still do it but ODFW use to truck the steel above the dam ..... Made for some very interesting catches while Trout angling above Foster..:dance:

Chuck

C
Combat Chuck
Just down from the dam at church camp.

J
JeannaJigs
Combat Chuck said:
Cool, I picked up a couple darker jigs today and I'm gonna try it again tonight. They were the smallest Bi-mart had in stock but I think they are still bigger than what some of you had been talking about. Im on the right track at the very least.
For sure in the right direction. Jigs are addictive, I'm tellin' ya. I caught my first one on jigs 5 years ago and have been hooked on the method ever since. Bi-mart has a really good selection down here, not sure about yours, but I'm assuming they're about the same. Since Joes went out, they really upped the inventory. They're a little larger than what I would use on the McKenzie, but if they were all I had, I would have no problem using them. Also the Santiam is not the McKenzie, so, I can't speak for the Santiam. I started tying my own, and it's loads of fun being able to customize them however I want...oh the possibilities! Good luck out there trying again tonight.

Troutski
Troutski
Very nice area..

Very nice area..

Combat Chuck said:
Just down from the dam at church camp.

Well you found a great section of river....start working out more, trust me the season is just beginning....

Chuck

C
Combat Chuck
Round two!

Round two!

Round two. This time I bummed a ride on a drift boat and got to see the upper drift. I gotta thank the captain for this fish, he put me on the spot with diver and bait.

J
JeannaJigs
Damn! Two for two! Buy any lotto tickets recently?

Raincatcher
Raincatcher
Good mojo

Good mojo

Oh,Baby!! You've got the mojo going now! :clap: Congratulations on both. You do realize you are now in the grip of the incurable "fishallthetime-itis" bug,don't you? By the way,if you need a freezer for that beauty I have one. :dance:
Be safe.
Barb

J
Johnny Southpaw
Combat Chuck said:
Round two. This time I bummed a ride on a drift boat and got to see the upper drift. I gotta thank the captain for this fish, he put me on the spot with diver and bait.

Nice freakin' fish CC-you're on a roll now! :clap::clap: