S Santiam above Foster

H
hookmiester
Going to hit the river above Foster, any decent fishing to be had up there, around the new County park??

B
bigfootfish
Actually, yes, but it's all catch and release and no bait, flies and lures only. Upstream from, I think that new Linn County Park Campground past Camp Attitude is called Riverbend? Anyway, go upstream past Riverbend a few miles to where Canyon Creek flows into(you can't miss it there's a bridge Hwy. 20 crosses over called Canyon Creek, which is CLOSED to all fishing) the South Santiam. Start fishing the South just below where Canyon Creek flows in and work your way downstream. Lots of big cutthroat in there, but it's all catch and release. Rainbows too. The Winter Steelhead should have already spawned and moved back downstream or are still in the river up there. Steelhead will die after spawning IF they are too old, swim back downstream or stay in the river for a long time, according to ODFW.

BFF

K
ketts05
I just hit up Riverbend park this weekend. Despite the campsite being full there weren't too many people on the river and no one else fishing. Spent most the afternoon there and walked away having caught (and released) a feisty 6" rainbow and missing on several takes. I was hi sticking nymphs and a black woolly bugger through a little hole down stream from the campsites I left at about 6 and I could see a few fish starting to come up for surface feeding. Never heard of steelhead being above foster but I don't have a lot of experience on that river. I plan on doing a bit more fly fishing up there the next few weeks and as people go back to school in a month and the campsites empty out its a nice little catch and release stream.
Oh, last thing there are some nice size fish in there but I know a guy that fishes the river fairly regularly and primarily pulls out 6-10" fish.

K
ketts05
Went back to the south santiam again today. I didn't have any luck but could see quite a few fish. Took a few pictures for the fun of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
H
hookmiester
I hit it this weekend from Riverbend. Lots of interesting rock formations, water is really low. Fished the channels with light gear. Hooked a couple nice trout, but they were few and far between. Relaxing thou, with no other anglers scene. I can see how access would/will be an issue.

B
bigfootfish
hookmiester said:
I hit it this weekend from Riverbend. Lots of interesting rock formations, water is really low. Fished the channels with light gear. Hooked a couple nice trout, but they were few and far between. Relaxing thou, with no other anglers scene. I can see how access would/will be an issue.

Pretty soon the Kokanee will swim into the South up out of Foster and start spawning in the river.

BFF

K
ketts05
Any recommendations for targeting them with flies or spinning gear? Or is fishing for them while spawning a bad idea

B
bigfootfish
I've always had luck with small spinners. Hey, I just rememberd a special place on the Upper South. It's downstream from Cascadia, on a sweeping right-hand corner headed downstream. Forget which milepost. Big waterfall. Deep pools. Circular parking loop with trail going down towards river. Awesome spot.

BFF

B
bigfootfish
I'll try and come up with a milepost for the fall.

BFF