S. Santiam 9/18

M
Mike123
Still lots of nice steelies around! Lost 3 and landed 1 today. Along with a ton of chinook. My buddy also landed one very nice steelhead and a chinook. The steelhead we've been getting still have very undeveloped eggs and really nice meat! This fish he got today looked no different than an early June fish.. :shock:
Drifted egg patterns... They're hitting jigs too. Bright colors. I would have thought they would like the dark patterns, but they're hitting the brighter colors. Problem is the chinook are more aggressive than the steelhead right now, so you have to weed through them to find a steely. Here in a few weeks though the steelhead will be very aggressive and that's when it gets fun. Hopefully will have a crappy pic tomorrow.

Anyways... that's my report. Ima bout done fishing it. Time for FALL SALMON!! :dance:

T
Thuggin4Life
Nice!

M
michigan_transplant
Where were you fishing. I was down at the Church Camp Hole. Got a Native Salmon but couldn't find any steelhead. And man the Salmon were thick as thieves in there!!!

M
Mike123
michigan_transplant said:
Where were you fishing. I was down at the Church Camp Hole. Got a Native Salmon but couldn't find any steelhead. And man the Salmon were thick as thieves in there!!!

Yea man the salmon are THICK... gotta weed through them.. kinda a fun fight though. I spent most my time at dead line.
The salmon are chasing the steelhead off their spawning areas. So their hanging in weird spots. Hour before dark they are on the move up the sides of the river..

S
sherretb
Dang, I tried the float from the damn down to pleasant valley. I launched late so only got to fish about and hour but NADA. I hit the church camp hole and the boulder patch below with a small black and red jig as well as #3 blue fox spinners.

Hum, maybe next time. Is it worth drifting? Are there fish in the lower section right now or are they all bunched up at the dam?

M
michigan_transplant
theyre all stacked up, i would just go from stay in the church camp deadline area.

M
Mike123
Be there early or late... yarn balls and glo bugs I would say are your best best drifted.
2-3 .250 shot size for your slinky weight.

M
mgman6000
Anywhere we could fish from the shore? My son and I are new up here and don't know where any of the spots are I'm hoping we can at least get 1 to put on our tags!!

M
michigan_transplant
mgman6000 said:
Anywhere we could fish from the shore? My son and I are new up here and don't know where any of the spots are I'm hoping we can at least get 1 to put on our tags!!

Go to the Deadline at Sweethome!!! Its right below Foster Dam.