Run timing

F
fishfighter
what time of the year do salmon run as a general guideline I'm a great lakes salmon guy but I'm gonna be in Oregon next year and want to know if there are any salmon runs during June or early July and what rivers are fish able with waders? thanks for any help o and I'm assuming throwing crank baits jigs and flys will work here as well or do I need to fish spawn?

M
metalfisher76
All of it will work and it depends more on the clarity and level of the river. Don`t leave home with out eggs since ya don`t live here or know yer rivers, take the sink. But, as far as runs, you`ll be right on time. Sandy and Clack are in full swing TODAY! Keep an eye on here and you`ll learn a lot. You can PM me when ya get closer if ya have more ?`s.

F
fishfighter
is it eligal for me to take eggs from the great lakes to these rivers? might have to fish with some of you guys when I get out there is this like a fall run for this area I'm not used to fishing for salmon in rivers till late September until late November

F
fishfighter
how big are the sandy and clack and how big do the fish run I've pulled in big kings with 10 pound test beofore my bigest actully around 30 pounds but do I need heavier line 15 20 pound test? any good trout fishing around the area?

M
metalfisher76
Not sure why it would be? But worth emailing a ODFW dude or something. It`s the spring chinook run, fallies start in late Aug./Sept.

T
the_intimidator03
i dont think egg prices are too bad here... and you can get some good cured ones right here from some of the members at a good rate Kodiak and Xtremenorthwest are bait providers i know of off the top of my head.

F
fishfighter
I just didn't want to bye any if I could just get some out of my freezer

F
fishfighter
are the sandy and clack wadeable? if not what are some good rivers that are wadeable

D
dawgchaw
V
VagrantAngler
You'll have no problem wading the clack or the sandy most of the year. Tons of bank access on both these rivers.

F
fishfighter
what types of salmon are runing at this time Chinook and cohos? how about pinks? any other type that I don't even know about?

M
metalfisher76
Springers (chinook)now. Coho in the fall with fall chinook. Some coastal streams get chum in the fall. There are also Sockeye running now as well as my favorite, summer steelhead.

F
fishfighter
spring and fall you guys are in salmon heaven any pictures? I want to see what to look forward to

R
Rascal
just look around the forum tons of pics!

F
fishfighter
ok this may sound dumb but is it like michigan were aslong as I'm in the water I can wade through privet property?

M
metalfisher76
Only on some streams. The Sandy being 1 of `em and you must stay below "ordinary high water mark". I can`t remember all the ones you can but the Columbia and Willy are 2 more out of 7 total in Oregon.

B
beaverfan
Here it is directly from the regs.

F
fishfighter
your right about are fish some strains you have to finesse but the others you just get a big plug in there face what is the size of the average fish out there? but mud shark y are you calling them that?

F
fishfighter
so there hard bottom rivers and fast?I've fished something like that it will definently be interesting thou

F
fishfighter
yea I believe thats a strain from Washington we also have 2 other strains one from Oregon and one is a variation of the Washington one and the DNR are looking into getting a springer program